Thread: [Continuation] Signs of the End Times - Part Two
View Single Post
Old 3rd November 2016, 08:51 AM   #244
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by halleyscomet View Post
I think the phrase "What you said was so confused that one could not tell whether it was nonsense or not," applies nicely to Paul's argument that the word "discovered" implies there was consent.
I've been thinking about that, and I think I know where the nonsense comes from. Recently the word "discovered" has frequently been applied in two particular contexts:

- finding things that have never been seen before, or were previously unknown; as in the discovery of a new sub atomic particle at CERN
- finding things that have been intentionally concealed, as in the discovery by Allied cryptanalysis of the secret keys for the Enigma cipher machine during WW2.

Now Paul seems to think that by referring to the "discovery" of a sexual liaison, it must be being implied that this activity was intentionally concealed - by the joint agreement of both participants - so it must therefore have been consensual.

Even if this argument was valid - and it is utterly ludicrous - Deuteronomy was not composed in English, and therefore conclusions that might or might not be drawn from an English word, used in translation of the original term, are of no moment whatever.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top