Thread: [Continuation] Trump’s Coup - Part 2
View Single Post
Old 7th January 2021, 02:45 PM   #146
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
//Total Hijack//

I follow a YouTube channel of a guy who "reviews" exotic reptiles and explains why they, in most cases, do NOT make good pets.

His review of the King Cobra is hilarious for when, after explaining all the other many, many, many valid reasons a King Cobra would not make a good pet, he gets down to the cost breakdown of what it would take to properly house and care for it, including the several thousands dollars worth of anti-venom you need to keep on hand at all times.

"Yeah I said anti-venom. You're going to need to keep your own supply of Anti-Venom. Why am I telling you to keep your own anti-venom? Well do an experiment. Go down to your local hospital holding your arm and tell them that you've been bit by a King Cobra and you need some anti-venom and just watch the look on their face. They will look at you like 'What? How? How did you get bit by a King Cobra? You weren't bitten by a King Cobra you moron. You were bitten by some local snake.' and when you tell them 'Yeah I have a pet Cobra' they are going to go 'Oh... okay... well *Stammers* Well... we have morphine. I can give you that. We'll make some calls. So just sit tight.'

A King Cobra bite can kill you in under an hour. So yea anti-venom. It's not cheap. It's not easy to get. It doesn't last long so you'll have to replace it often. And you're going to need a lot of it because it can take up 20-30 doses of antivenom to counteract the bite of a large King Cobra."
Heh! //More Total Hijack//

I remember watching a show back in the day about a South African park ranger getting bit on the upper thigh by a black mamba (another elapid!). He quickly tied a tourniquet around his leg and tried to walk back to his land rover. Fortunately, some tourists were driving by and he manage to flag them down and together they went to the local hospital which took about 30 min(?).

When he arrived at the hospital he told the Doctors what had happened and they asked (wait for it) "Are you sure you were bit by a black mamba?" To which he replied "yes, of course I'm sure! I'm the bloody park ranger!" Well, you should be dead by now!"

Anyway, they decided that it was better just to put him on a ventilator instead of giving him anti-venom (I can't remember why). So that meant that for about 24 hours he was basically paralyzed, had no feeling at all, and could only hear things going on around him (I'm not sure if he could even blink his eyes). A pretty horrific 24 hours when you think about it. Not to mention all the jokester Hospital staff coming in to your room, "Hey, Bill, check this out. I'm going to make him slap his own face! Why are you hitting yourself?"
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top