View Single Post
Old 9th September 2018, 05:14 PM   #380
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
Conceded in advance that the information (or lack thereof) makes 99% of this discussion pure hypothesizing. I consider myself a reasonable person. If I entered my home while armed (I don't carry a gun) and a stranger came out of one of the rooms towards me in close quarters- perhaps trying to scare me away- I would not spend a great deal of time trying to grasp the nuance. I would shoot. I would find that reaction reasonable were someone else to do it.

Again, I emphasize that I do not have access to any information that is not public.
Agreed that we are all commenting without enough information (with the caveat that a hugely important justifying element has no earthly reason to be omitted):

Would you find it reasonable for a uniformed and armed police officer, considering their line of work, to shoot first and ask questions later?

If you will indulge an anecdote: I live in a beach town whose population goes up tenfold in the summer, mostly with renters. Each and every year, at least one walks right in my front door, misremembering what house they rented (it happens). I have walked into what I thought was my empty house and found strange men in my living room. Guess how many I killed?