View Single Post
Old 4th October 2019, 12:37 PM   #10
3point14
Pi

If I might propose two premises:

- Everyone having the smae mount of money it not desirable in a capitalist system

- one person having all the money is not deisrable in any system

Then at what point, if we accept the above, is it appropriate to take action? Only at the point when the last penny goes to McDuck, or if before then, at what point before then?

Edit:

People are really bad at big numbers. (Personally, I'm not sure I can really conceptualise much beyond a hundred or maybe a thousand), therefore I think it's apt for me to quote this to enable us all to conceptualise how much money billionaires have)

"I like to use the analogy of a staircase, with each step on the staircase representing $100,000 of net worth. Thatís several years of working wages saved up for tens of millions of Americans:

HALF of people in the united states are on the base or the very 1st step. Almost 200 million people who canít even get one step up in this system.

Those households at the 80th percentile, richer than 4/5 Americans, are on the 5th step. Thatís about five seconds of walking to get up there.

Those with more money than 90% of fellow Americans, millionaires who we consider our upper-middle class professional class and live more than comfortably, are on the 11th step. A few more seconds of walking up from that previous middle-class step. Most Americans wonít even come close to accumulating this much over an entire lifetime of working.

A billionaire is ten thousand steps up the staircase. Thatís enough to walk up five Empire State buildings. Thatís almost three hours of walking non-stop. You think they care about the petty squabbles of anyone on those first few steps or so? From these heights they couldnít tell the difference even if they wanted to. And yet those whoíve maybe ascended or were born on the first few dozen steps think they identify with this group as a class.

And Jeff Bezos? Heís so high up it only makes sense to describe his staircase in distance. His stairs take him up 133 miles. Thatís more than halfway to the space station. Thatís more than 24 consecutive Mt. Everestís stacked on top of each other. It would take walking, non-stop, no sleep, over two weeks to ascend that high, each single step worth more than five poverty-level families in America combined."

https://writeleft.net/?p=1050

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]

Last edited by 3point14; 4th October 2019 at 12:42 PM.
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top