View Single Post
Old 28th December 2020, 01:40 AM   #132
steenkh
Philosopher

I think of myself as a strictly visual observer, but I have found that some “trophy photos” are useful to explain to others what I can see.

I have taken a lot of photos by holding my iPhone at the eyepiece, and getting an adapter has really made the process easy. The pictures of the Moon have been very successful, but in general I must say that the pictures are invariably worse than what I see with the naked eye.

I then started labeling my Moon pictures, and realized that I could find features like chains and rilles that I had not noticed when I saw them live, so I could use the pictures to familiarize myself with the Moon, and refund those features.

That caused a warming up to the idea of buying a real astro-camera, which I did in time for the conjunction that was drowned in clouds here in Denmark. I have only used the camera once since I bought it, but it really does not improve on the iPhone pictures. It is easier to use, but because I have to watch the proceedings on a computer, I also need to set up a table and cables etc. so I am probably not going to use it very much.

--
Jack of all trades - master of none!
steenkh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top