View Single Post
Old 18th December 2010, 03:55 PM   #6
Drachasor
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by FattyCatty View Post
The repercussions of this decision are frightening if it carries over into what teachers are allowed to say in a classroom, although I don't know if it would. Or am I just being alarmist?
Do you think it is frightening if a biology teacher can't talk about how YEC is true in a classroom? Is it frightening if an astronomy teacher can't talk about how astronomical findings must be reconciled with creationism?

Teachers rightly should be limited in what they say if what they are saying undermines the education they are supposed to be providing.

Further, running an observatory is a pretty big deal. A university is going to want papers and some prestige from the person doing it. If that person espouses views that would make him a laughingstock in his field of study, then I think it is quite reasonable for him to not hire. Further, they'd also have every reason to suspect his religious views in this case would undermine his ability to perform the job
(e.g. research and teaching). I'm not sure what the law is in terms of religion, but I know that for the handicapped it is legal to not hire them IF they can't perform the job because of their handicap (such as directing traffic for a blind person). I would think the same would apply to someone because of their beliefs as wel.
Drachasor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top