View Single Post
Old 10th October 2019, 02:08 AM   #207
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by blutoski View Post
Power begets more power until its so concentrated that national management becomes a few individuals' will. There's going to be an inflection point beyond which there's a point of no return. While I can't put a metric to that, my feeling is that by the time we discover it it will be too late, and I advocate a precautionary approach.

The downside for being overly cautious is that a few billionaires have a few less millions. The downside for being asleep at the switch is the loss of democracy.
I think we might already be passed the point of no return in the US. Power now has enough power to prevent us from preventing it from accumulating even more power. (sorry for the mouthful!)

https://scholar.princeton.edu/sites/...litics.doc.pdf
Quote:
Multivariate analysis indicates that economic elites and organized groups representing business interests have substantial independent impacts on U.S. government policy, while average citizens and mass-based interest groups have little or no independent influence. The results provide substantial support for theories of Economic-Elite Domination and for theories of Biased Pluralism, but not for theories of Majoritarian Electoral Democracy or Majoritarian Pluralism.