View Single Post
Old 7th March 2010, 01:49 PM   #1
Questioninggeller
Illuminator

Sylvia Browne's Niqui McCown reading (New media report)

Sylvia Browne gets mentioned regarding a missing persons case in the paper today:

Quote:
Anger tempers hope
Death of 'person of interest' leaves Niqui McCown's loved ones wondering if they'll ever learn what happened
Palladium-Item
By Robert Sullivan
March 7, 2010

When former Ohio corrections officer and security guard Tommy Swint committed what was ruled suicide in early February, a Richmond family was filled with anger.

To them, Swint's death diminished the chances that they would ever be able to answer a question that has haunted them for more than eight years: What happened to Niqui?

On July 22, 2001, Marilyn "Niqui" McCown left her mother's house on Richmond's south side to finish laundry at a coin-operated facility at 1000 S. E St.

She called a co-worker before leaving to say she would be coming to Dayton, Ohio, later to get hair-care products. Then she walked out the door.

She was never seen nor heard from again.
Niqui and Swint met while working together at the Montgomery Education and Pre-Release Center in Dayton. They were both hired in 1994. Niqui worked in the business office, and Swint was a corrections officer.
The two struck up a friendship that McCown-Luster said she advised Niqui on several occasions to avoid because of what McCown-Luster calls Swint's aggressive nature. She said Swint took Niqui out to eat and often bought things for her. Niqui was an engaged single mother at the time.
The investigation of Swint's involvement in Niqui's disappearance remains open, leaving Richmond and Dayton police detectives tight-lipped about what information they have uncovered that would have led them to characterize Swint as a "person of interest."
Full: Palladium-Item

Here's part of the timeline:
Quote:
•July 22, 2001 — Marilyn Renee "Niqui'' McCown was last seen at a coin-operated laundry in the 1000 block of South E Street.

•July 23, 2001 — McCown is reported missing.

•July 31, 2001 — Thirty friends and family search for the Richmond woman.

•Aug. 1, 2001 — Seventy-five people march to the Richmond Municipal Building and pray for McCown.

•Nov. 3, 2001 — McCown's vehicle, a 1990 GMC Jimmy, is found parked at a Dayton, Ohio, apartment complex.

•Aug. 23, 2002 — McCown's case is featured on the television program, Unsolved Mysteries.

Nov. 5, 2002 — Psychic Sylvia Browne tells the audience of "The Montel Williams Show" that Niqui is dead and her body can be found in a trench near the laundromat.
•November 2007 — Dayton police begin investigating Swint for the 1991 murder of prostitute Tina Marie Ivery after receiving a tip from a confidential informant.

•July 2009 — Miami Valley Regional Crime Lab uses DNA to confirm presence of Swint’s blood on blanket in which Ivery’s body was wrapped.
•Nov. 16, 2009 — Alabama judge signs affidavit for search warrant allowing investigators to collect fingerprints from Swint.

•Nov. 17, 2009 — Swint is picked up by Russell County Sheriff’s Office deputies in Alabama and taken in for fingerprinting. He is later interviewed by Dayton detectives about Ivery’s murder.

•Feb. 3, 2010 — A Montgomery County, Ohio, grand jury indicts Swint for the murder of Ivery. Less than an hour later, Swint apparently takes his own life as Russell County deputies approach his home to serve an arrest warrant for Ivery’s murder.
Full: Palladium-Item

A portion of the dialog with Browne about this case:

Quote:
DATE: November 5, 2002 Tuesday
SHOW: The Montel Williams Show (5:00 PM ET) - SYND
SHOW: Vanished! With Sylvia Browne; guests discuss loved ones who have vanished and ask Sylvia for help
LENGTH: 7568 words
(Excerpts from videotape)

MICHELLE (Sister Vanished 3 Weeks Before Her Wedding): My sister Niqui disappeared in Indiana last July. She would have been 29 this year. She was planning her dream wedding. Her wedding day was just three weeks after she disappeared. We picked her dresses up just a few days after she vanished. I still have them sitting in my closet. I would have been her bridesmaid.

TERRILYN (Sister Vanishes 3 Weeks Before Her Wedding): Our sister was a routine person. Every Sunday, she went to church and then to the local Laundromat. That day, she drove to my mother's house while waiting for her laundry to finish. My mother said she was acting odd, like someone at the Laundromat was bothering her. She told her to get her laundry and finish it at her house. Niqui left, but never returned.

Four months later, Niqui's car was located in Ohio. The laundry was still neatly folded in the back seat. The police have questioned her fiance, Robert, but we don't believe he did it.

ROBERT: Since there isn't any clues or anything that are visible, they have to name somebody to--to show progress and all it's pretty much done is just drag my name through the mud.

MICHELLE: I write in my journal every night to talk to Niqui. I look in the mirror and I see her. It breaks my heart when my sister's daughter says, 'I have no mommy.'

(End of excerpts)

WILLIAMS: Please welcome Niqui's sisters, Terrilyn and Michelle to the show. Welcome them.

You know, Terrilyn, your--your sister would not leave on purpose. As a matter of fact, the day that this happened, this was routine. She would go and do her laundry, come back. But she didn't come home and I--and I hardly ever say things like this on the show, 'cause I--it--it doesn't matter to me about a person's ethnicity when a problem happens, but your sister came home and said something particularly poignant to your mother that there were some people of Mexican descent...

TERRILYN: Yes, sir.

WILLIAMS: ...that kept messing with her. Those were her words, correct?

TERRILYN: Exactly what she said.

WILLIAMS: Said 'These Mexicans will not leave me alone.'

TERRILYN: Yes.

Ms. BROWNE: Right.

WILLIAMS: So she must have run into some people at the--at the Laundromat...

TERRILYN: At the Laundromat.

Ms. BROWNE: Yeah.

WILLIAMS: And then she went back to get her clothing.

Ms. BROWNE: There's three of them.

TERRILYN: Were they Mexican descendants?

Ms. BROWNE: Three of them. Hispanic. Yes. And...

WILLIAMS: Did she know them or did they have anything to do with pe--'cause right now, you know, the authorities are looking at some co-workers. Your sister--wait, let's get this straight. Your sister was a corrections officer, was she not?

TERRILYN: Yes, she was. Yes, she was. She's...

WILLIAMS: This woman was trained in martial arts.

Ms. BROWNE: Right.

WILLIAMS: Trained in weaponry.

TERRILYN: In every area.

Ms. BROWNE: Yeah, but--but you see, but you get three--you get three husky guys, you know, and the fact of it is they kept coming on to her and she kept negating them, do you see what I mean?

TERRILYN: She speaks fluent Spanish.

Ms. BROWNE: And I will say this about her, not only was she a c--let's say a corrections officer, but she was also very self-assured. You know what I mean?

TERRILYN: Right.

Ms. BROWNE: Even if she hadn't have done this, she would have said--you know, she's the kind of person to say, 'Mess with me and I'll take you out.' You know what I mean? That kind of thing.

TERRILYN: That's--that's my Niqui.

Ms. BROWNE: Yeah. But the person--the main person that took her was a person by the name of (censored).

TERRILYN: Is he local? Is he a local man or is he on the run right now? I mean, we didn't stop at anything. We've--we've placed flyers everywhere.

Ms. BROWNE: I don't think he's on the run because I don't think he thinks that anybody's nailed him.

TERRILYN: Oh, really?

Ms. BROWNE: Do you see what I mean?

WILLIAMS: So he may still be in that area?

Ms. BROWNE: But I'll tell you something. There is another woman who is of--Caucasian who they were bothering also.

Ms. BROWNE: So I would try to get to the Laundromat, do you see what I'm mean? Because this guy is involved in all kinds of prostitution. Do you see what I mean?

TERRILYN: Yes. Yes, I had a feeling on this.

Ms. BROWNE: And--yeah. And let's face it. She was a very attractive female and it was sort of like, 'I want to get you in my stable.' Do you see what I mean?

TERRILYN: Is she alive, Sylvia?

Ms. BROWNE: No.

TERRILYN: Do you know we might find her?

Ms. BROWNE: Well, see, here we go again. This is in a wooded area not that far, but it reminds me of the--Chandra Levy, in a trench area. Do you know what I mean?

TERRILYN: yes.

Ms. BROWNE: And there's about four big huge stately trees with a trench beneath it. Yeah.

WILLIAMS: Very close to the Laundromat?

Ms. BROWNE: Yes.

WILLIAMS: Far from the Laundromat? A mile, two miles?

Ms. BROWNE: Yeah. No, no, it's fairly close. Yeah. So I don't care where they found the car, do you see what I mean? They might have taken the car anywhere, Ohio or Podunk, whatever. But--no.

WILLIAMS: The police and the authorities have been looking as primary suspects at some people who worked with her. Is that correct?

MICHELLE: Right.

TERRILYN: Yes, that's correct.

WILLIAMS: Now do you think they had anything to do with that at all? Or this is just something that happened?

Ms. BROWNE: No. No. I think that they--the only thing about that is you might be able to find that name because I think she knew the name of one of these...

Ms. BROWNE: ...abductors. Do you see what I'm saying? But here we go again. We get a lot--'cause I get a lot of police cases that I work on besides this. And this is a case, too, where I've told other people. She would not have disappeared like this with not calling you or the--you know, you.

MICHELLE: Right.

TERRILYN: Exactly. Exactly.

Ms. BROWNE: This is not the case of that. And honestly, the fiance had nothing, honestly, to do with this.

TERRILYN: Thank you so much.

Ms. BROWNE: No, he--no, he didn't.

TERRILYN: Thank you.

WILLIAMS: Yes, ma'am. You had a question for Sylvia. We're going to take some questions from the audience also. Yes, ma'am?

Unidentified Woman #1: My nephew was murdered two months or three months ago and it's unsolved. Can you give us the information we need to help solve his murder? He was 19.
Full transcript at Source

Was Browne correct? The family may never know.

Last edited by Questioninggeller; 7th March 2010 at 02:56 PM. Reason: link
Questioninggeller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top