Illuminator

A related article:

Quote:
New information gives twist to cold case
wthr.com / 13 Investigates
By Sandra Chapman
Posted: Jul 17, 2008 3:13 PM EDT
Updated: Jul 17, 2008 11:00 PM EDT

Next week marks the 7th anniversary since an Indiana mother vanished just weeks before her wedding.

Police presume the worst. Now 13 Investigates uncovers a secret between sisters that's led to a major turn in the case.

Payton Johnston is dreaming one day her mother will come home. She was nine years old when Marilyn "Niqui" McCown vanished seven years ago.

"I knew she wouldn't leave me," the 16-year old said with sad eyes as she talked about growing up without her mother's guidance.

Weather worn pictures of the striking 28-year-old mother sit faded outside the family's Richmond home. The heartache inside is fresh with another anniversary at the door.

"I just want her home. And if they've taken her and did something with her they ain't got to confess, just tell me where they laid her," said Niqiu's mother, Barbara "Dolly" McCown. "Just tell me where she's at," she begged as tears flowed down her cheeks.

Barbara McCown last saw her daughter July 22, 2001. It was a sweltering day, three weeks before Niqui's wedding.
Initially Niqui's family thought she was abducted from the laundromat where some men had been harassing her.

Richmond Police eliminated that theory based on surveillance tape from a nearby convenience store.

"When she's leaving the facility there I can tell she's under no duress whatsoever," said Detective Roger Redmond, of the Richmond Police Department. "I can probably give you a 100-percent surety she was not taken from the laundromat," he told 13 Investigates.
Niqui once lived in the Meadows of Catalpa too. Her laundry was discovered still neatly folded and undisturbed in the backseat of the truck when it was found.
Niqui's sister Michelle McCown Luster, now publicly reveals a guarded secret. She says it explains why Niqui frantically tried to get a hold of her the day she vanished.
The sisterly secret is about a triangle Niqui's mother and fiancé knew nothing about.

"She would always tell me I don't care what he wants, he's just like a big brother to me," explained McCown Luster referring to former Trotwood, Ohio Police Officer Tommie Swint. Swint and Niqui had worked together at a Dayton prison, the Montgomery Education and Pre-Release Center.
The big question: Was there a romantic relationship at any point between Tommie Swint and Niqui McCown?

Niqui's sister, bowed her head and then responded, "Okay how do I explain this? Maybe a few times it went more than just friends," said McCown Luster.
Swint refused to speak with 13 Investigates about the case or his pending lawsuits against both the Richmond and Trotwood Police Departments.

So far, there have been no arrests.

"In a case like this when you go to court, you have to have proof. And when I go to court on this case I'll have the proof I need," said Detective Redmond, who believes the investigation is on the right track.
Full: wthr.com / 13 Investigates
Questioninggeller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top