View Single Post
Old 17th February 2013, 04:05 PM   #929
Farsight
Banned

Arrow

Originally Posted by lpetrich View Post
OK. Let's see what different theories predict about the Higgs-particle spectrum.

What 0+ 0- +-1
Unbroken Standard Model 1 1 1
Eaten by Z and W+- 0 1 1
Low-energy SM 1 0 0
Low-energy MSSM 2 1 1
Low-energy NMSSM 3 2 1
CP-even neutral: 0+
CP-odd neutral: 0-
Charged: +- 1
MSSM = Minimal SUpersymmetric Standard Model
NMSSM = Next to MSSM

There's an interesting curiosity about the MSSM Higgs masses. A parameter they depend on is m(A), and if it's greater than about 200 GeV, then the particles "decouple". One of them, a neutral CP-even one, stays around 100 GeV and acts much like the SM Higgs particle, especially if m(A) is large. The others get masses close to m(A).

It's that light one that was most likely recently discovered. I can't find any LHC limits on heavy MSSM Higgses, however.

Higgs Theory and Phenomenology in the Standard Model and MSSM
The NMSSM Higgs sector

BTW, First three-year LHC running period reaches a conclusion | CERN press office starting a 2-year shutdown.
Where is your none of the above? The big issue is that there's CERN physicists out there saying that the Higgs mechanism is the cuckoo in the nest of the standard model, only they're shouting in the wind whilst Higgs propaganda dooms the HEP community (and possibly the whole of theoretical physics) to a long slow harikiri. The public are unimpressed by billions spent on "the mystery of mass", which Einstein solved a hundred plus years ago, and is irrelevant to modern life in these days of energy issues. I know you root for physics, but I do too. How can I put this? Think about Brookhaven. People like you need the wake-up call before it's too late. Public and government want some results after decades of zilch. You're getting in the way. Bow before you break.

Clinger: I made it clear that the "fields" referred to are E and B, which aren't actually fields, but instead denote the linear and rotational forces resulting from electromagnetic field interactions. Pay attention to Minkowski:

"Then in the description of the field produced by the electron we see that the separation of the field into electric and magnetic force is a relative one with regard to the underlying time axis; the most perspicuous way of describing the two forces together is on a certain analogy with the wrench in mechanics, though the analogy is not complete".

That's my bolding, and this is from Space and Time which you can find on wikipedia. Scroll down about four-fifths through the article, this paragraph is opposite figures 3 and 4, though this translation says "force screw" instead of "wrench".

Last edited by Farsight; 17th February 2013 at 04:06 PM.
Farsight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top