View Single Post
Old 15th March 2017, 02:34 PM   #1649
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits

Originally Posted by Hlafordlaes View Post
Rare event, do not miss!

I agree the violent protesters on the left in the OP case are asshats, and that anyone should be allowed to speak, unless violating those few prohibitions against inciting to riot or similar. Moreover, I think universities are a place for debate, not a safe zone (not to countenance harassment, or forceful verbal challenge outside formal debate areas/classrooms). By the accounts I've read about (not a reliable sample, admittedly), the PC movement at many schools is beyond the pale. Yes, I'll go so far as to say what I've seen from time to time so far is intellectual cowardice and a public trouser drop denying the democratic credentials of those so acting.

That said, as for some of those allowed to speak, may the allowable ridicule of ideas be withering, merciless and give no quarter. But stamping feet and plugging ears is ugly no matter who does it.

/rare agreement event