View Single Post
Old 15th March 2017, 10:42 PM   #1658
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Giggling is fine. I think this is more than just giggling, though. What I read MD saying, both in this thread and that one, is that they are happy to give away a little rule of law, if it means seeing a little violence done to "fascists"; and that they don't mind seeing violence used to suppress speech, if it's "fascist" speech.
Can you really not understand that from another point of view, this is simply not about speech? Their speech is understood, and they are given free reign to proclaim it. Actions taken are a response, not a desire to suppress. While you clearly don't agree, can you not even understand this?

Quote:
Seeing a deserving jerk slip on a banana peel is satisfying. Seeing a deserving jerk punched in the face by a masked vigilante is even more satisfying--in a comic book. Seeing a jerk, no matter how "deserving", punched in the face by a masked vigilante in real life, and seeing that act of violence praised and defended by my fellow citizens, is far more disturbing to me than it is satisfying.

I have fantasies about being Batman. But I know they are fantasies. I enjoy seeing fictional Batman carrying out fictional vigilante justice. I know that's not reality. MD and others seem to view the violence in Berkeley, and the violence against Richard Spencer, as if they were just another form of fantasy-fulfillment. As if they were not actually real things being done by real people in our real life society.

Richard Spencer is not Adolf Hitler. Not even close. Milos Yiannopolous is not the Joker. These vigilantes are not Batman. This violence is not cathartic fantasy.
All well and good. But please don't project these fantasies on others. Some of us are practical-minded and offering an apparently unpopular POV honestly. Having nothing to do with batman fantasies.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top