View Single Post
Old 19th May 2020, 03:36 AM   #15
Michel H
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
So now you're saying the great sin of the UK and France was not declaring war on Germany, it was failing to win, thereby forcing Germany to attack more countries.
Have you considered that you might be massively wrong?
Quote:
So now you're saying the great sin of the UK and France was not declaring war on Germany, it was failing to win, thereby forcing Germany to attack more countries.
No, that's not at all what I am saying (or trying to say; I really would not like this kind of Trumpian mentality: "your great sin was that you failed to win"). What I am saying is that the (bad) decision to declare war to Germany triggered a kind of catastrophic chain reaction.
Quote:
Japan was not Germany's ally and there was no axis until both nations found themselves fighting the same enemies, and that was basically the moment Hitler chose to declare war on the USA after Japan attacked Pearl Harbor. In fact Japan was more closely allied to Britain until breaking that alliance became a condition of the disarmament talks that led to the Washington Naval treaty of the 1920s.
This is completely wrong, I am afraid. Wikipedia explains:
Quote:
The Axis grew out of the diplomatic efforts of Germany, Italy, and Japan to secure their own specific expansionist interests in the mid-1930s. The first step was the treaty signed by Germany and Italy in October 1936. Benito Mussolini declared on 1 November 1936 that all other European countries would from then on rotate on the Rome–Berlin axis, thus creating the term "Axis".[1][2] The almost simultaneous second step was the signing in November 1936 of the Anti-Comintern Pact, an anti-communist treaty between Germany and Japan. Italy and Spain joined the Pact in 1937. The "Rome–Berlin Axis" became a military alliance in 1939 under the so-called "Pact of Steel", with the Tripartite Pact of 1940 leading to the integration of the military aims of Germany, Italy and Japan.
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axis_powers)
Quote:
Have you considered that you might be massively wrong?
Yes, sure. Like when we debate telepathy, I could be wrong, this is always a possibility. However, to convince me (or other people) that I am wrong, you have to present convincing arguments.
Michel H is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top