Thread: Australia
View Single Post
Old 10th April 2009, 11:42 PM   #121
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Originally Posted by MG1962 View Post
I believe this inscription on a monument erected by the Turks to honour the dead at ANZAC cove sums up their feelings about Australians very well

Those heroes that shed their blood and lost their lives... You are now lying in the soil of a friendly country. Therefore rest in peace. There is no difference between the Johnnies and the Mehmets to us where they lie side by side now here in this country of ours... you, the mothers, who sent their sons from faraway countries wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace. After having lost their lives on this land. They have become our sons as well.

I cant speak for the Britsh, French or Indian forces present at the battle, but it is clear that the Australians, New Zealanders and Turks had a lot of respect for each other almost from the start.

Even at the time, concern was shown for the relationship the two sides of the trenches had, some have even said the ANZACS trusted the Turks more than their own commanding officers. And stories of both sides throwing rations back and forth were not uncommon. Though Bullybeef does not seem to have been to the taste of the Turkish troops.

I believe the ANZAC story will always remain an unbreakable triangle of honour and respect, on its three sides the avenging Abdul , the dour Digger, and the courageous Kiwi.

Gallipoli Slang

Quote:
Bully (beef)

Tinned beef, which (together with dry biscuits) formed the basis of rations at Gallipoli, as it was always available in abundance. It was hated by the troops, and not only for its monotony. After being stored for a length of time on the beaches in the hot Turkish climate, it all too often turned into a liquid mass of fat. A well-known trench story has it that when supplies were thrown across nomansland to the Turkish positions, a tin of bully came sailing back, together with a note on which was scribbled : 'cigarettes yes, bully beef no'.The only exception to the rule was perhaps 'Maconochie's', a brand of tinned beef that was appreciated by all for its superior quality.

Since they were still serving a similar product during my service, I will vouch for the description of bully beef. We knew it as "Luncheon Meat, Type II, troops for the consumption of". Now I've spammed the thread. Oh noes !!eleven!

Life is mostly Froth and Bubble - Adam Lindsay Gordon

Last edited by Akhenaten; 10th April 2009 at 11:44 PM.
Akhenaten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top