Thread: Australia
View Single Post
Old 11th April 2009, 12:30 AM   #124
SimonD
Rouge Element

Originally Posted by Akhenaten View Post
@ SimonD

Firstly, an apology to you.

In my earlier post addressed to you I included a link that went to a joke article in Uncyclopędia.
She'll be right, mate.

Akhenaten paints it as a draw, the Kiwi and the Aussie in the street sees it as our finest hour. YMMV

You really have to see the area for yourself to truly understand how much the soldiers suffered. I find it ironic that the greatest victory (with the least amount of dead) was the final withdrawal. Not that I am saying you haven't, just that reading books about what happen does not capture what an incredible moment it was in our history.

Everyone loses in war. I say this as a former soldier.
Even though the Turks won the battle, the cost was very high in men. As you said, ever if you win, you still lose

Originally Posted by MG1962
Those heroes that shed their blood and lost their lives... You are now lying in the soil of a friendly country. Therefore rest in peace. There is no difference between the Johnnies and the Mehmets to us where they lie side by side now here in this country of ours... you, the mothers, who sent their sons from faraway countries wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace. After having lost their lives on this land. They have become our sons as well.
This was said by Ataturk http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kemal_Atat%C3%BCrk

If you go to Gallipoli you will hear and see this written everywhere.

'If there is an intelligent designer, why is the product so flawed?' - Diogenes

http://forums.randi.org/showpost.php...0&postcount=99

Last edited by SimonD; 11th April 2009 at 12:31 AM.
SimonD is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top