View Single Post
Old 29th March 2010, 07:48 PM   #719
wolftrax
Thinker

Originally Posted by AtomicMysteryMonster View Post
wolf,

I have some Godzilla suit goodies for you! I tried a new Google Books search and found the following:

Eiji Tsuburaya: master of monsters by August Ragone has a bunch of great pictures relating to the making of and wearing of Godzilla costumes. Page 36 offers a shot of a man working on an ultimately rejected suit, while page 37 offers a little something about the making of the final suit. Page 42 offers both some details on what it was like in the suit and shows just how big the costume's head is and page 43 shows Nakajima emerging from a Godzilla suit in a long-sleeved shirt. It's not the picture I remembered, but I think you'll still find it interesting.

Page 16 of Robert Greenberger's Meet Godzilla reveals that the crew once checked the suit's temperature and found it reached 60 degrees C/140 degrees F! That page, along with page 17 also offer more details about the suit and its mechanical effects.

Cheap tricks and class acts by John Johnson offers an interesting discussion of how Mr. Nakajima practiced the necessary gait and aspects of the costume's design effecting the walk on page 216.

Oh, and this should lead to a limited preview of Anatomy of a Beast: Obsession and Myth on the Trail of Bigfoot by Michael McLeod. Scrolling through it should yield some very interesting notes about Ivan Sanderson and the PGF.
Dude, you rock! Thank you very much! I will have to check all of this stuff out, I just looked at the image of the man emerging from the suit with the long sleeve shirt on. This isn't spandex, looks like a cotton T-shirt, but I am thinking he wore it to absorb the sweat.
wolftrax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top