View Single Post
Old 9th June 2017, 05:04 AM   #139
Border Reiver
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Paul Bethke View Post
First you do not know how I started off, there can be no pride on my part, if you know what pride is.
All people have pride it is part of our life, but few can take pride in themselves, because everything we have comes from the accumulation of others.
Pride - Noun

1. a feeling or deep pleasure or satisfaction derived from one's own achievements, the achievements of those with whom one is closely associated, or from qualities or possessions that are widely admired.

2. a social group of lions.

We know what pride is because we have access to dictionaries and know how to use them. Unlike others who just make up their own definitions....

I would find that your claims here DO reflect pride on your part. You have claimed to have "perfect understanding" of Scripture, to be the one who will bring about the reformation of the Church, to be part of a select spiritual choir, etc. All of this perfectly captures the first meaning of "pride."

The problem is that your feelings in this case are not based on any objective reality. You are routinely corrected on the meaning of various scriptural passages, the history and sociology of Bronze and Iron Age Middle Eastern societies and the basic meanings of words, which demonstrates that you do not have a perfect understanding. Your excessive pride causes you to double down on perpetuating your lack of understanding, asserting that people with demonstrated knowledge are not as enlightened as yourself.

A humble person would recognize their own lack of knowledge or expertise and attempt to learn from others, adjusting their understanding to fit the facts, rather then insisting that the facts are wrong because they do not coincide with their prejudices.

Quote:
I can take pride in my knowledge of electrical generation, but must take note that it is based on the progress made by others, and not exclusively on my achievement.
Unless you are claiming to be the source of the knowledge of power generation take that pride. You learned it, you earned it.

Quote:
The same can be said of the faith, I base my faith on what is given and not on what I achieved in myself.
I have to acknowledge each and every individual in the Scriptures for their faith—that is why faith is a gift—the Creator gives us commands and we in faith obey these commands. So, without these commands we cannot have faith.
Faith - noun

1. complete trust or confidence in someone or something;
2. strong belief in religious doctrine, based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof.

Faith is not a gift from someone or something to you, it is a gift that you give to others - your belief in them to be able to do something, based on nothing more then your feelings.