View Single Post
Old 30th July 2006, 03:32 PM   #1
LibraryLady
Emeritus

Definitions--split from Why do people hate Jews

It is amazing how simple words have been twisted by the extreme and not so extreme right wing. And yes, the left wing has been guilty of this as well. Take this exchange in the split-from thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio :
I have never seen anyone view mexican * IMMIGRANTS* this way, and I live in a border state

Perhaps like the media you are tyring to mix criminal tresspasser with immigrant?
Another example is the word "liberal."

From dictionary.com:

Quote:
lib·er·al ( P ) Pronunciation Key (lbr-l, lbrl)
adj.

Not limited to or by established, traditional, orthodox, or authoritarian attitudes, views, or dogmas; free from bigotry.
Favoring proposals for reform, open to new ideas for progress, and tolerant of the ideas and behavior of others; broad-minded.
Of, relating to, or characteristic of liberalism.
Liberal Of, designating, or characteristic of a political party founded on or associated with principles of social and political liberalism, especially in Great Britain, Canada, and the United States.

Tending to give freely; generous: a liberal benefactor.
Generous in amount; ample: a liberal serving of potatoes.
Not strict or literal; loose or approximate: a liberal translation.
Of, relating to, or based on the traditional arts and sciences of a college or university curriculum: a liberal education.

Archaic. Permissible or appropriate for a person of free birth; befitting a lady or gentleman.
Obsolete. Morally unrestrained; licentious.
And yet, this has become a dirty word just as "immigrant" has.

Sometimes the change in words can be beneficial--"gay" instead of pejoratives, for example. But for the most part, unless we all agree on the common definitions, communication becomes nearly impossible. Unlike Humpty Dumpty, we need to let the words be the master.

End of rant. Sorry if I've bored you.