View Single Post
Old 30th July 2006, 03:39 PM   #2
bob_kark
Person of Hench

Originally Posted by LibraryLady View Post
It is amazing how simple words have been twisted by the extreme and not so extreme right wing. And yes, the left wing has been guilty of this as well. Take this exchange in the split-from thread:

Another example is the word "liberal."

From dictionary.com:

And yet, this has become a dirty word just as "immigrant" has.

Sometimes the change in words can be beneficial--"gay" instead of pejoratives, for example. But for the most part, unless we all agree on the common definitions, communication becomes nearly impossible. Unlike Humpty Dumpty, we need to let the words be the master.

End of rant. Sorry if I've bored you.
It only becomes a dirty word if you allow them to make it so. Personally, I would like to see Pipeline Audio make the word immigrant a positive term rather than attempting to redefine his own position. I think he should feel proud of his Mexican heritage as well as his American citizenship. Remember, nearly everyone in the US is an immigrant or has an ancestor who was once an immigrant as well. If you really want to get technical, even American Indians originally immigrated from Asia.

I also believe that if someone calls you a liberal, you should be proud of that fact. Liberalism has always had in important role in our country. In fact, the liberal viewpoint may be more important now than ever.