View Single Post
Old 31st July 2006, 11:43 AM   #4
davefoc
Philosopher

I participated in the original thread and noticed this exchange between pipelineaudio and bob_kark.

My original reaction was that it was one of the sillier exchanges that I had seen on JREF.

I went back and reread the exchange and still see it as pretty silly.

If we had a category for silliest analogy I would have nominated this effort by pipelineaudio:
Quote:
Well if we go by that then, if you ever had sex I call you a rapist
I am afraid I still don't understand pipelineaudio's position here. On the surface it seems that there isn't a substantive different between he and bob_kark's views with regard to immigration, but before I push the submit button I think I'll go back and try once more to understand their respective views.

OK, I'm back. So I get this from the exchange. pipeline audio thinks that people who immigrate illegally should not be called immigrants because that is an insult to the legal immigrants. pipelineaudio also doesn't think there are people who resent legal immigrants.

Hmm, assuming I've got this right, it seems like pipelineaudio has a personal definition of the word immigrant and he objects to the fact that bob_kark doesn't use it. It also seems that pipelineaudio sees the US population as completely appreciative of all immigration as long as it's legal.

So on a little more reflection of the subject, I now see that there are some substantive differences between bob_kark's views and pipelineaudio's and it looks to this humble observer that pipelineaudio is just wrong in this dispute.

ETA: That is not to say that I still don't think this was a pretty silly exchange. I do. Especially because on the underlying substance of the issue I suspect that bob_kark and pipelineaudio are pretty much in agreement.

Last edited by davefoc; 31st July 2006 at 11:48 AM.
davefoc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top