View Single Post
Old 31st January 2013, 07:23 PM   #185
littleelvira

Originally Posted by StankApe View Post
I have recently discovered the 26 part BBC series The Great War about WW1. I knew it was a vicious and terrible war, but the sheer number of casualties in a relatively small amount of conflicts is just staggering. 6 figure casualty levels in 8 hours of fighting? OMG!!!

I have learned a great deal about it via this program and I plan on grabbing a few books down the road to expand my knowledge of it. (as sadly, due to the USA's limited input, we don't spend much time on this war in school).

I know that the victors write the history and all that, but the Kaiser seems like an inhuman monster.
That's why they tried to pull the plug on the German's with the Treaty of Versailles. When I was a little boy, Helen Bronfield the writer and only woman journalist present at the treaty's signing used to tell me some tales about those days and that war. WOW!
littleelvira is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top