Thread: [Continuation] The Trump Presidency: Part 25
View Single Post
Old 5th September 2020, 01:26 PM   #561
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Matthis can't be expected to stand on a soapbox every day. But I'd be willing to bet he's got a lot to say to anybody who asks him behind the scenes.
From the article you linked:

Quote:
During a panel with the Council on Foreign Relations in 2019, Mattis said that "when the time's right to speak out about policy or strategy, I'll speak out," adding that he disagreed with other officials who immediately "get out and start talking."
I knew he criticized Trump and Esper for the Lafayette Square incident. What I hope for, perhaps foolishly, is that even when such officials are not speaking publicly, they are making damn sure that senators and congressmen understand that Trump is a threat to national security. But then again, they probably already know, but are hoping they will somehow be able to manage Trump while seeing his loyal supporters as their best chance for re-election in their states. (I hope they're wrong about that; I don't think it's going to work for my state's Republican senator.)
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top