View Single Post
Old 3rd January 2018, 09:48 AM   #1382
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

That reminds me, I've been meaning to look into other cryptocurrencies for a while. Back when Bitcoin was peaking for the first time, I made a small list of requirements I'd need to imagine people actually using a currency instead of storing them in their digital socks. Does anyone know of coins that meet them today?

My list:
No "gold rush" - It should not heavily reward the people who first start mining it, and sure as hell shouldn't start with enriching the creators with huge theoretical sums. That's begging for a pump and dump scam. Ideally it'd start with a high difficulty, as if there were already a lot of coins and everyone was already just mining the interest. The idea would be to encourage people to join the mining swarm at any time without them "missing out."
Inflationary - it needs to grow about 10-20% per year. More coins entering with time encourages investment and discourages hoarding.
Scalable - Bitcoin's model is that every transaction has to be confirmed by everyone. Which is inherently unscalable. Imagine half the world's economy using it. No way would that be feasible. No giant block chain, no "self-limiting" transaction fee. I know there's some coins that do this but I don't know the details.
GPU-focused - to discourage ASIC farming. I know there's coins that do this already.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top