View Single Post
Old 15th March 2019, 07:19 PM   #72
GDon
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
Extraordinary that GDon thought he was scoring some kind of point here.
I wasn't trying to score a point. I was making a point: IMHO many atheists (not all!) want you to prove to them that the particular version of God that they don't believe in in fact exists, rather than working from what the theist themselves describe. The conversion starts with two people talking past each other, and doesn't improve from there.

For example, atheists obsessed with the Bible (which seems to include you) will always bring the conversion back to the Bible, even if the theist has other reasons for belief, such as our esteemed former Federal Labour leader and Australian Humanist of the Year, Bill Hayden.

How would you proceed to engage with his ideas that “There’s been a gnawing pain in my heart and soul about what is the meaning of life. What’s my role in it?” and “I can no longer accept that human existence is self-sufficient and isolated”, other than with a shrug of the shoulders?
GDon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top