View Single Post
Old 30th June 2017, 06:42 AM   #26
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
The horribly offencive confederate monument in St. Louis' Forest Park (That most people, up until recently, didn't even know was there.) will be removed from Forest Park by Friday. The city decided to let the rightful owners move and store it rather than fight out the city's right to remove and store it in court.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/g...c517b4f9f.html
I live walking distance from the former monument. We often drive through the park on our daily commute and, depending on where we are going, often drive right past it. It's on a small loop of road named "Confederate Dr." across from a cannon. IIRC, it was constructed decades after the war in the early 20th century as part of an effort by the Daughters of the Confederacy to rewrite history so that the Confederacy wasn't fighting to keep slaves.

Over the last month or two, there have been protests and counter-protests. My wife and I have been following a Facebook pro-removal group who organized the one half of those protests. There were several times, they advised people not bring kids and we would try to avoid the area during those times. We have driven by and seen people with their confederate flags hanging out around it. "Protecting it", I imagine.

I've took a certain amount of joy in watching it disappear piece-by-piece.