View Single Post
Old 18th October 2018, 10:06 AM   #245
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I know they're not right now, but would an open competition that specified the same pull weight for all competitors be "fair"? Or would the male muscular advantage still close out women from the top levels of such a sport?

Actually, what about shooting competitions? The guns are all identical. What do open shooting competitions look like.

And speaking of shooting competitions, the elephant in the room is military service.
Equal weight bows would make the advantage less. There's still an element of control involved where muscle helps. On the other hand, if you set the required weight too high, it would exclude more women than men.

"Fair" is a loaded and overused word, but restrictions on bow pull weight could minimize men's advantage.

I don't know how it affects shooting. I would think there wouldn't be a huge advantage for men, but I don't know.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top