View Single Post
Old 23rd March 2019, 02:31 PM   #1302
Thor 2
Philosopher

An opinion article by one Francis Sullivan. A Catholic struggling to come to terms with the rapid descent of his church.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-03-...e-now/10925554

Quote:
The Australian bishops must act. They are accountable only to the Pope and he is struggling to get on top of the issue.
They should voluntarily subject themselves to a transparent accountable mechanism that is not run by clerics. They must not use Canon Law as an excuse to avoid being accountable to both the Catholic and wider communities.

The above is just one of several measures he sees as necessary for his church to survive the situation it finds itself in. I wonder however if something would be surviving or something new pasted together.

The big drawcard the Catholics have clung to over the centuries is the claim of being the one true church. "Thou art Peter and upon this rock I shall build my church ......." are the words attributed to Jesus.

Now this Francis dude is suggesting the Pope should not be the overriding authority in the church? I say these are desperate words from someone trying to arrange deck chairs.