View Single Post
Old 2nd April 2019, 03:26 PM   #1312
8enotto
Graduate Poster

The shortage of clergy and a desire for small town Mexico to have a chapel with services at least twice a week has created a position for women here. They do a sort of training course and basically can do an entire mass in some small dirt road community.
This frees up priest types to stay in larger community areas and do whatever is required there.

My MIL did, and now one of her girls do that, and if disappointed that they hit a glass ceiling they are proud to serve the faith.

Both have been run out of places as locals disapproved of a sermon or just demand a real priest and not these authorized fakes. The stories were not pretty.
Abuela Juanita wants a man up there preaching and not the fake. These are community efforts of donated land, donated materials and labor to build and then pleas to be accepted and properly recognized as a real catholic church, the good folks want a real priest.

There aren't enough men that feel the faith to take on the job anymore. It's a sort of crisis that has been going on since my school years when my mother suggested I take the route of priesthood as such a cause must be preserved.
Not my plan, not by me.
8enotto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top