View Single Post
Old 19th October 2010, 12:05 AM   #45
GreNME
Philosopher

What's amazing about this thread is how wildly outraged some folks are getting at the mere mention of the Tea Party and Nazis in the same sentence, despite the attempts in the OP to remove the two ideologically as much as possible.

I'd disagree in the comparison between the two groups, but not because both grew in strength on the basis of populist ignorance-- in fact, I think that parallel is strikingly accurate-- but instead because of how the two grew and coalesced into a movement. The Nazis took longer and were built upon a different type of scapegoats, so essentially they're operationally and structurally different. The only real similarity is the populist anger, and that's awfully generalized and vague.

If anything, the operations and structure more resemble the Know Nothing movement. A better thread would be to contrast those two.

The kind of pacifism I endorse is brought about by eliminating one enemy combatant at a time.-- JoeyDonuts
GreNME is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top