View Single Post
Old 19th June 2019, 02:38 PM   #238
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
I absolutely agree that Rudy Guede was protected and coddled by the police and prosecutor Mignini after Guede was returned to Italy arrested.

Every measure you describe that protected or coddled Guede was meant to set him up as a potential witness against Amanda and Raffaele or to set up the results of his trial to be used against Amanda and Raffaele. The fast-track trial not only resulted in Guede getting a reduced sentence, it allowed for the conclusion of the proceedings against him to be concluded in time to be used, although improperly and illegally according to Italian law and Constitution as stated in the Marasca CSC panel motivation report, against Amanda and Raffaele in the proceedings against them.
I agree with the highlighted part. However, Guede was legally entitled to take the fast track option and, if I'd been his lawyer, I'd have pushed for him to take it. The evidence against him was overwhelming and if he'd gone for a full trial, he'd have been given a harsh sentence without the benefits the fast track provided. He'd have ended up serving a longer sentence. I can fault Guede and Maresca for a lot of things, but taking taking the fast track is not one of them.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top