View Single Post
Old 19th June 2019, 03:28 PM   #239
Numbers
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I agree with the highlighted part. However, Guede was legally entitled to take the fast track option and, if I'd been his lawyer, I'd have pushed for him to take it. The evidence against him was overwhelming and if he'd gone for a full trial, he'd have been given a harsh sentence without the benefits the fast track provided. He'd have ended up serving a longer sentence. I can fault Guede and Maresca for a lot of things, but taking taking the fast track is not one of them.
True. But one consequence of the proceedings against Guede was that he was given additional time off his sentence because he was, according to the prosecution and as agreed by the courts, not the leader of the attack against Meredith. According to the judgment against Guede, another person led that attack, and was named as Amanda Knox. Raffaele Sollecito was also named as a participant in the proceedings against Guede. Yet neither Amanda Knox nor Raffaele Sollecito was on trial in the proceedings against Guede and thus could not have a defense during that trial. That was a legal trick, exploiting the dysfunctional Italian judicial system, to attempt to get a judgment against Guede that could then be used against Amanda and Raffaele in the proceedings against them.
Numbers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top