View Single Post
Old 22nd October 2012, 08:30 AM   #19
douglas mesner
Thinker

Scopedog -- Regarding your question to whether studies have been done that show that recovered memories match the biases of the therapist: this is an observation that has been made by many researchers in recovered memories, and I would recommend the books 'Abducted' by Susan Clancy and 'Multiple Identities & False Memories' by Nicholas Spanos. Broadly, it is obvious that the types of trauma that are recovered quite match the interest of the therapist, and when you have a "therapist" who is convinced that a trauma is rooted in unresolved issues from a past life, he will regress the client back into another, earlier, imaginary lifetime where they will explore the "real" root of whatever their current malaise is. Clients with false memories of past lives can hold them as near & dear as those who have recovered memories of child abuse. It is the same with memories of alien abduction. Therapeutic frauds, who continue to make their living from this recovered memory folly, like to argue that the memories of past lives and alien abduction aren't real traumatic memories, and false traumatic memories simply can't be implanted, thus they are not relevant to the discussion. This simply isn't true. Professor Richard McNally at Harvard did a study that you can find online, "psychophysiological responding during script-driven imagery" that demonstrates that false memories of alien abduction do indeed act as real traumas in the minds of those who hold them. It is in the field of alien abduction that we find more obviously the biases of the therapist effecting the client, and this is because of the vast differences of opinions in that field regarding the nature of abduction and the intentions of the aliens. Last April, I did a series of interviews with abduction therapists. On the one hand, I found a woman named Dolores Cannon, and she always found that aliens intervened like angels. On the other hand, there was David Jacobs, and his abductions were always rather satanic. I wrote a pretty lengthy piece, in fact, about the similarities between abduction stories and satanic ritual abuse claims that you can find online if you google my name and the title, 'among the brain-washed and abused'.
douglas mesner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top