Thread: [Continuation] The Trump Presidency, Part II
View Single Post
Old 4th July 2017, 12:46 AM   #145
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Civet View Post
I think the lesson from Trump is that changing your position when it's convenient is fine as long as your timing is good and you're sufficiently brazen about it. I recall Trump angrily insisting that he'd always been against the war in Iraq despite that being a lie. He also abandoned birtherism after he'd gotten everything he could out of it. Neither of those things seemed to hurt him much among Republicans.
Trump is many things, but dumb isn't among them. He knows exactly what his supporters care about and how to present it in a way it'll make them adore him even more. The significant danger to his opposition is they'll start to underestimate him because his talking points are to transparently false and they'll think Trump is too dumb to notice.

The thing is, Trump is not too dumb to notice his talking points are ridiculous. He knows they are and he also knows his supporters are too dumb to notice it and he's milking this for all it's worth and then some. It worked well enough thus far.

The quote:

"If I were to run, I'd run as a Republican. They're the dumbest group of voters in the country. They believe anything on Fox news. I could lie and they'd still eat it up. I bet my numbers would be terrific."

is firmly in the "fake but accurate" category.

McHrozni

Last edited by McHrozni; 4th July 2017 at 01:01 AM.
McHrozni is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top