Thread: [Continuation] The Trump Presidency, Part II
View Single Post
Old 4th July 2017, 01:47 AM   #149
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
I agree with the highlighted. For too long, politicians of every stripe have gone into full meltdown when anything which can be perceived as being negative is brought up. Quite often the denial, cover up and explanation is far more damaging than the original allegation ever was.

- You said this forty years ago when you were in college
- No I didn't
- Yes you did here's the transcript
- Well yes I said it but I didn't mean it then and I don't mean it now
(the politician is now a proven liar and flip-flopper)

Contrast this with the "owning it" approach

- You said this forty years ago when you were in college
- Yes, guess I was a bit of an ass in college let me explain how I've changed
(the politician looks human)
Yeah. It would be interesting to know why that's the case. I see two main possibilities:

1. Owning it appeals to a smaller segment of population. If a plurality prefers a flip-flopper who claims he was always perfect than a credible politicians who acknowledges his past mistakes and resolves not to repeat them then politicians are herded towards asinine behavior even if it's not natural to them. Those who don't are weeded out by the electorate quickly.

2. Self-selection, people who own and resolve to correct their problems are the kind who don't want to enter politics in the first place.

It could be a bit of both. In fact, I'd say it probably is a little of each.

Quote:
In any case the comment to which you were referring related only to GOP challengers to Trump.
I see. I think it's too early to say that it's better for candidates to wait it out. A lot could happen between now and 2020, including a split in the Republican party. Trump would have to head the retard wing, he has no base outside of it. The sane wing would then have to mount a challenge, with as good a candidate as possible, in order to present themselves as distinct from Trump. If the best Democrats have to offer is "at least we aren't Trump", he would actually have a chance of winning too.

Even if that doesn't happen and the sane wing and the retards remain allied it still makes sense for at least the older candidates to try to stand up to Trump. If he wins in 2024 it'll be 2032 before a Republican has a shot at winning the election and if he doesn't could still be 2028.

McHrozni

Last edited by McHrozni; 4th July 2017 at 01:54 AM.
McHrozni is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top