View Single Post
Old 19th December 2020, 04:47 AM   #9
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
Personally, I think that both approaches are appropriate. You start with CBT and try to get the mental to align with the physical. This is the least overall harmful, as it doesn't require permanent medicalization, and also doesn't expose the individual to abuse and discrimination.

Personally, I think that for homosexuals, both approaches are appropriate. You start with CBT and try to get the mental to align with the physical. This is the least overall harmful..... and (it) also doesn't expose the individual to abuse and discrimination.

(You quite clearly are impervious to the fact that what you're saying here is that people with gender dysphoria should, as a first approach, try to be "cured" of their gender dysphoria. To be made "normal" again. And you wonder why people like me find your position disgusting and contemptible.)

Quote:
I'll draw a bit of an analogy here. I'm epileptic. <snip>

Epilepsy is a disorder. An aberration. And that's the definitive and settled opinion of the mainstream medical community. Gender dysphoria is not a disorder or aberration. Just like homosexuality.

No medical professional ever will (thankfully) think of addressing a patient/client with gender dysphoria in this way. This is nothing whatsoever to do with "curing" the condition, irrespective of your unpleasant idea of trying the "cheap cure" as a primary option. The only clinical decisions to be taken wrt a patient/client with gender dysphoria and a desire to transition is a) to work with the patient/client to make sure that they've considered their decision carefully and fully, and b) if (a) is fulfilled, to decide - in conjunction with the patient/client - what form of transition would be preferable for them.

Unbelievable. As is this ludicrous smokescreen claim that this is all about men taking policy decisions without any regard to the rights of cis women (I'm still waiting for you to provide evidence that all the policy panel members making the decisions on DSM5 were men - and nasty, misogynist men at that. And that all legislative policymakers in those (thankfully progressive) national parliaments which enshrined laws to respect and protect transgender rights... were similarly 100% men....)
LondonJohn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top