View Single Post
Old 10th June 2011, 10:00 AM   #406
Larechar
Thinker

Originally Posted by Pup View Post
You're surprised that you could sway someone's opinion by presenting actual evidence?

Um, okay...

You realize this is a skeptic's forum, right?
You misunderstood the quote. I was referring to the ease in which Pup implied that by reading that I smoke changed his mind about evidence being able to sway his opinion; which was sarcasm due to the snarkiness. [But then I read this...]

Originally Posted by Pup View Post
Evidence is not only the easiest way, it's about the only way to sway most people's opinion here, and I think that's a good thing. Being given solid evidence and ignoring it is just as bad as believing things based on vague or weak evidence.
I agree. My intentions when posting about fasting, as I've stated previously, was to give my opinions on my experiences; and not to alter anyone's opinion.

Just because I am willing to test things for my own conclusions doesn't mean that I'm advocating the results to anyone else. I'm just informing you of what I observed.

Again, next month I'll come back to the discussion with more observations, and, if I can manage, a stool analysis if the tarry-poo occurs again.

Originally Posted by Sawbones79 View Post
Very good point. Persistent black (as in containing blood) stool is also a classic symtom of intestinal tumours.
Unfortunately, I'm aware of that, as well
I got myself checked out by physicians, though, and, while they didn't offer an opinion on fasting besides, "that is unhealthy," they ensured that it wasn't due to blood.

eta
Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Yes indeed, I see pretty clearly where we diverge. The very things you discard on your path are the ones I would pick up if I were seeking enlightenment.
From what I've learned [largely in part due to being a practitioner of Kouryuu arts], "enlightenment," to a degree, is somewhat blocked from having a defining personality. In saying, "having Faith in unprovable things," I implied the rationale of not needing to define it, or prove it to others. It does not mean that I believe any old thing that can't be disproven; because in that case I'd believe almost everything

Ultimately, "Enlightenment" stems from the ability to live outside the mind in everyday life; as in, just be aware of what's going on around you, but in a much more sensitive way than the words 'be aware' imply regularly. It doesn't have anything to do with fasting, beliefs, jobs, identities, self, other people, direct contact with nature, or anything else that involves definition, including dubunking things. Those are just side-notes. The only thing that really matters is growth and happiness, which every human is attempting to attain or sustain. Creating friendships with those you encounter is also very important.

And, just so we don't continue the, "where's your evidence for this?" tea party, these words, not ver batum, are found in almost every enlightening book or practice ever written. [ie. the bible, plato, confucius, tao te ching, ekhart tolle, dan millman, socrates, etc.]

My Kouryu sorces are the Shoninki and books by Dr. Masaaki Hatsumi.

Last edited by Larechar; 10th June 2011 at 10:18 AM. Reason: forgot to quote a response
Larechar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top