View Single Post
Old 10th June 2011, 10:31 PM   #416
Maurice Ledifficile
Lost in translation

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
Based on past experience, that would give me kidney stones.

That's pretty easy to achieve, in fact difficult to avoid, once a kidney stone starts hurting.

Does "Ow ow ow this kidney stone hurts like hell" count as a thought? If so, it's going to be an obstacle.

That, on the other hand, will happen pretty automatically after one or two sleepless nights of kidney stone pain.

Thinking "how could I have been so stupid as to dehydrate myself and inflict this awful kidney stone pain on myself?" would probably be accompanied by my eyes rolling upward in the manner you describe. But then again that's thinking. On the other hand directing my eyes on purpose also implies intention which requires thinking. So this will not work as prescribed.

Does "Ow ow ow" count as an external sound if I'm saying it out loud?

Not my favorite Webber & Rice. Would "Jellicle Cats come out tonight, Jellicle Cats come one come all" do instead? It does have a part about going to the Heaviside Layer and being reborn into a different Jellicle life. Though maybe that only applies to cats? What was Nietzche's opinion on the Heaviside Layer?

Actually, when I have a kidney stone and I'm concentrating intently on the pain it causes, my desire is the opposite of becoming one with it. I want me and it to become two as promptly as possible.

Respectfully,
Myriad
I see what you did there.