View Single Post
Old 8th June 2019, 08:28 PM   #42
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Also Lou Dobbs has been doing his anti-immigrant shtick for more than 10 years now. He's a fraud.

I knew Trump was tapping into a wellspring of resentment, but Tom Tancredo tried and failed to get traction with this 10 11-12 years ago. The Republican nominee ended up being McCain. I know there is residual bitterness about "them" taking "our jobs," but I'm not sure how far it's going to get anybody.

The red states know damn well they need the immigrants, to the point where House Republicans couldn't pass an immigration bill that would require employers to use E-Verify. McCain was pushing "tamper-resistant biometric ID," but having proposing a national ID used to give conservatives the vapors. And the states definitely pushed back against Trump's blue-ribbon commission or whatever that was supposed to expose all this fraud. Bully for the states, including a bunch of Republican ones.

Meanwhile there are still a few conservatives who see benefits in free trade and a mobile migrant workforce.

If the Latin American kiddos who are citizens don't turn out in force next November I'll be disappointed. DACA, baby, DACA!

ETA: Though some of it is warranted, it's past time to whine about Republican voter suppression efforts. IMO it's in everyone's interest to make sure anyone who wants to vote (legally) has the proper ID and a ride to the polls. There's lots of time left to work on this. I don't know if anything will motivate young voters as much as the Vietnam War did, but I hope they don't all give in to apathy. They're going to be in this world a lot longer than I will be. Whoever they vote for, I just hope they get out and vote.

Last edited by Minoosh; 8th June 2019 at 08:38 PM.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top