View Single Post
Old 15th May 2019, 09:54 AM   #42
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
A bit off topic, but I have always been a bit confused why these kind of full on "moral" laws (for want of a better word. Eg Death penalty and abortion, gun restrictions etc) are State decided, yet silly things like age of having a beer are federal.
The Federal Government basically strong armed the 21 year old drinking age with highway funds. In 1984 they passed a law basically going "You can set your drinking age to whatever you want... but it ain't 21 you're losing 10% of your highway funds."

Up until the early 80s the drinking age vary widely from 18 to 21 throughout the various states.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top