View Single Post
Old 31st October 2017, 05:18 PM   #162
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Some states do charge and I have friends who have been charged. I wasn't aware that Coast Guard does not charge, so thank you for correcting my bad assumptions. That is pretty cool.
Yes, the HowStuffWorks link mentioned that some states and local authorities had started to charge for search-and-rescue. And I can see the logic in it, what with austerity (which hits even harder on local authorities than on national) and with ever more totally inexperienced people going on some sort of adventure. But the open sea is a harsh mistress, and inexperienced sailors there are few and far between, so I'm glad to see the Coast Guard doesn't charge people.
"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf

"I think accuracy is important" - Vixen
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top