View Single Post
Old 1st November 2017, 03:12 PM   #197
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
I don't know if I know the rules of skepticism. Not sure if I'd care either.

I would bet money that they are. The press had been using "her partner" in various ways. Now that can be a term unrelated to a romantic relationship, but it's also commonly used to describe gay or lesbian lovers.

Not necessarily. This is not a trial and there is no apparent crime. There are no subpoenas, search warrants, oaths to tell the truth, cross examinations, perjury or contempt of court charges, etc.

We may not ever be told the real truths because nobody is being forced or compelled to tell them.
Perhaps, but the fact that something is unknowable but trivial (from our perspectives) doesn't warrant wild ass guesses.

You don't know these two. You don't know whay Pacific cruising is like. You don't need an opinion.

In such situations, skepticism suggests caution in drawing conclusions. We can rely on expert testimony that something is fishy, but to declare they are lovers really goes beyond the evidence and the need for an opinion.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top