View Single Post
Old 24th July 2017, 01:18 AM   #235
TofuFighter
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Chris_Halkides View Post
"State Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert said in a statement that the ban would be published next week in the Federal Register, to come into effect 30 days later.
US officials linked the move to the death of jailed American student Otto Warmbier." BBC

This is a good way to punish North Korea; I hope our allies follow suit. I put my thoughts down about his confession in a blog entry. I am going to speculate for a moment. I think Mr. Warmbier made his confession as ridiculous as he could get away with. From what I can gather, the Z society gets its jollies by shoveling snowy steps on campus. The idea of its donating millions of dollars to the university is ludicrous.
Whether they do or don't donate millions, or anything, to the university, I'm not seeing the relevance.

Certainly it seems Z Society likely does more than just get its jollies shoveling snow.
Quote:
The Z Society, founded in 1892, is believed to be the oldest remaining secret society at UVA. It is one of about 13 secret societies active on Grounds, recognizable by their anonymous good works, tradition-filled celebrations of Founder’s Day and other key moments in the life of the University – and by the many symbols painted on buildings across Grounds.
I do think your speculation that Warmbier included them in his confession in order to make it bizarre much less likely than his being in some way connected to them. Even getting a NK propaganda poster as a kind of hazing seems a much more likely explanation than what you're proposing.

You seem to want to find any possible way for Otto Warmbier to be completely blameless in this whole scenario. He might be. He might not.

Almost everyone here agrees that North Korea's treatment of him - that we know about, being his sentencing and incarceration - has been unfair by our standards. I think a lot of people are totally discounting the NK perspective.
TofuFighter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top