Thread: [Continuation] Brexit: Now What? 9 Below Zero
View Single Post
Old 17th February 2020, 05:59 PM   #2996
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
If he's realising he was lied to it's a good thing. Shame it wasn't earlier, a lot earlier, but the ire needs to be aimed at the people who've lied, not the people who fell for the lies.
Sorry, but no. In a democracy it is the responsibility of every voter to properly inform themselves about the issues and people they are voting for. It really isn't that difficult to do. If they can't be bothered to do that, if they happily swallow the most transparent of lies simply because they appeal to their prejudices, they are responsible for the inevitable consequences.

On a purely abstract level I fall somewhere in the middle regarding this question. Or rather, I think it is best viewed on a case-by-case basis. Some lies are better concealed than others and require diligence which might be beyond the inclinations or even capabilities of some people.

Having said that, the lies and pitfalls that were and are accompanying Brexit were made abundantly clear from the onset, and Brexiters did little or nothing to bestir themselves as far as uncovering the facts. It was far less confusing for them to simply paint anyone with outlooks that were not 100% positive as ... I believe the phrase was ... "lying Remoaners".

But they will always have the fallback position that got them where they are to begin with.

Anything that happens which they don't like will be the EU's fault.

So in this case, Pixel42, I'm generally inclined to agree with you.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top