View Single Post
Old 30th September 2017, 11:11 AM   #155
Darth Rotor
Salted Sith Cynic

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
What am I missing here?
What you are missing is two things:
1. The US isn't St Louis, nor is it East Saint Louis. It's a whole lot bigger than that.
2. Projecting upon all cops in the US your frustrations with St Louis/Ferguson is, IMO, an argument from emotion. I understand you feeling strongly about what happened there: it's local, and that which is local tends to touch us deeply.

Now answer me this: who besides the currently sitting judges and DA are you asking to sort this out? That's who is in the job, just like in my county.
We just got rid of a DA in the past election -- he's been in office 4 years, is a Democrat, and I voted for him because I believed he'd do a good job and was a whole lot better of a choice than his opponent -- because he was found not to be up to the job. (This is one of the benefits of certain posts being elective). Let's say that a lot of us in this county were very disappointed.
Now we have a new one.
Hopefully, he'll do a better job. But if he doesn't, then in a couple of years our county gets to try again.

I am wondering at whether or not you view police officers as people, or as some objective force for injustice. From your posts, it is unclear.

Quote:
As I pointed out, there is, at the very least, an inherent conflict of interest when prosecutors and judges take the LEOs, that they depend on a daily basis, to court. That's a fair statement, right? If so, how much confidence can we have that justice is being served?
Cold hard facts for you, Uppie. The DoJ hasn't the budget to come to every county in the US and do as you demand. Just out of curiosity, why did you leave your state government out of this? Did you forget a layer of government and Law Enforcement?

Originally Posted by JimbobandDaveRogersintwopartharmony
there is no acceptable level of wrongful shootings.
Bull. Cops are people, and people screw up. It sucks but its true. All that can mitigate that is training, good leadership, and professionalization. (The same is true in aviation).
I do not accept your absurd notion that zero defects is a realistic standard. You can argue about what "rate" or "percentage" one can live with, or that a society accept as the bounds of human error. To demand zero defects in a human endeavor? That's not rational.
"Jesus wept, but did He laugh?"--F.H. Buckley____"There is one thing that was too great for God to show us when He walked upon our earth ... His mirth." --Chesterton__"If the barbarian in us is excised, so is our humanity."--D'rok__ "I only use my gun whenever kindness fails."-- Robert Earl Keen__"Sturgeon spares none.". -- The Marquis

Last edited by Darth Rotor; 30th September 2017 at 11:27 AM.
Darth Rotor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top