ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Amanda Knox , Meredith Kercher , murder cases , Raffaele Sollecito

Closed Thread
Old 29th July 2014, 06:04 AM   #4641
Samson
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Vibio View Post
Desert Fox... save it. No one here said that.

No matter how you try to twist things about who said what, the posts are here for people to follow. Start with post 2646... the one that started this conversation.
Well well, griffinmill said in post 2646 from this thread

Maybe. But I'm not talking about the whole "poor case." Only one fact. So did AK or RS ever say anything about a music file being played at 6am? Or why they turned on their phones just prior to that event?

This is for true afficionados clearly. Not only did I go back there, but I am quoting it, and turning it over in my mind. One or both of us have a problem with what we do with our lives.
I have drawn a relevance blank.
On reflection I think that playing music to soothe after a bloody murder is what anyone would do. Maybe Ride the Lightning

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT516h7QwA4
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th July 2014, 06:25 AM   #4642
tsig
a carbon based life-form

Originally Posted by lonepinealex View Post
Right, it's a dumb argument. I don't see what making claims for the superiority of one system over the other achieves, apart from a load of embarrassing xenophobia on both sides.

Italy's system needs a lot of reform - that can be discussed in isolation without making it about the US vs Italy.
It would be impossible to reform Italy's justice system to match the US's because Italy doesn't have that many blacks to lock up.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th July 2014, 06:30 AM   #4643
Vibio
Muse

Originally Posted by Samson View Post
Well well, griffinmill said in post 2646 from this thread
Obviously I was referring to post 4626 as "the one that started this conversation" in my post to DesertFox. I realized my mistake but the slowness of this site made it impossible to correct quickly.
Vibio is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th July 2014, 06:35 AM   #4644
Samson
Philosopher

Obviously I was referring to post 4626 as "the one that started this conversation" in my post to DesertFox. I realized my mistake but the slowness of this site made it impossible to correct quickly.
I am not surprised, but retrofitting a random post to suit the discussion is an ideal way to replicate the prosecution's MODUS OPERANDI. Nice.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th July 2014, 07:33 AM   #4645
Chris_Halkides
Philosopher

Italy's prison system and its penal code

Barry Moody at Reuters reported in 2013: "The overcrowding is the result of a byzantine and chronically slow-moving justice system - the root cause of many national problems - and of years of failure to build new detention centers by a state facing a squeeze on its finances."

"There is also a big proportion of foreigners - 35 percent of the total, partly due to the high rate of drug arrests in a country which is a corridor for the narcotics trade. Nearly 40 percent of convicts in Italy are serving time for drugs offences, compared to around 14 percent in France and Germany." Link.

As I have said many times before, let's have a race to the top.
Old 29th July 2014, 07:36 AM   #4646
Anode
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Thanks Michael.

So clearly Amanda wasn't calling this drug dealer in the week leading up to the murder. Guess she must have been well stocked up.
Well maybe they'll produce another phone. You know, her drug dealing phone that they found in the drawer with the "murder weapon". The one where she only called drug dealers and used gloves so her prints aren't on it. Tabloids get ready!
Anode is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th July 2014, 07:46 AM   #4647
analemma
Banned

Originally Posted by Desert Fox View Post
I have run into this before in other forums where somebody seems to actually argue that because the US system is screwed up in some cases, that somehow this is excusable.

Somehow, it is acceptable to lock two young people up for decades for a crime that all of the evidence argues that they did not commit.
I think that most will agree that you could find prosecutors and police investigators in the U.S. Criminal Justice System that would be as incompetent, stubborn, xenophobic, insecure, and as unwilling to admit mistakes and employing illegal procedures as the Italian Police have shown themselves to be in the Amanda Knox case.
The difference between the systems is that if the judiciary of a U. S. hick town were to act in such an obviously uncontrolled and corrupt manner in a highly publicized U.S. case, the media attention would result in one of the other government branches, or the national judiciary, forcing the hick town judiciary to think about what it is doing and come back to reality.
What has attracted me to this case is the fact that the entire Italian nation has been buffaloed to the point where the whole Italian Judiciary has been allowed to circle the wagons and abandon all pretense of “justice”, or even common sense, in its obsessive ends-justifies-the-means face saving exercise to protect these hick town bumblers.
In Italy there is no force that can bring the judiciary back to reality as it runs, lemming-like, to the edge of a cliff where the people of Italy will see the rest of the world shaking their heads at a country that, once again, cannot control its own government.
It is as if Italy has resurrected fascism in the form of its out of control judiciary.

Last edited by analemma; 29th July 2014 at 07:49 AM.
analemma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th July 2014, 07:49 AM   #4648
MichaelB
Muse

Originally Posted by Anode View Post
Well maybe they'll produce another phone. You know, her drug dealing phone that they found in the drawer with the "murder weapon". The one where she only called drug dealers and used gloves so her prints aren't on it. Tabloids get ready!
lolol
MichaelB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th July 2014, 08:21 AM   #4649
Desert Fox
Philosopher

It may well be that miscarriages are infrequent in Italy, but the facts do tell us that Mignini imprisoned 25 people, all innocent, including Lumumba Knox and Sollecito.
Twenty-Five

That is pretty serious if it can be substantiated that Mignini imprisoned 25 people who are innocent. If a US prosecutor got that many substantiated claims, that would be pretty serious.
Old 29th July 2014, 08:32 AM   #4650
RWVBWL
Master Poster

1"

4:58 am this morning, California time,
I'm in my truck, gear loaded, checking 1 last thing on the Internet before I put my laptop in Hibernation mode, closed it's screen lid and split to the beach in the darkness hoping to shoot some surfpix as the sun came up.
But the surf sucked...

Yet when I closed down my laptop,
I wondered once again why did Meredith Kercher have hers open?
Most folks think that she was attacked as soon as she got home.

Check my newest avatar
or see link to pics, #11,12+13,
err, from the last 2 photos in the 2nd row::
http://www.injusticeinperugia.org/PhotoGallery4.html

I show surfpix to alotta my clients on my laptop by bringing it with me when meeting with surfers at the beach.
I'll open it, turn it on, put it in their car and they can see themselves ripping soon after their last ride!

Did Meredith,
with her Halloween pix probably already uploaded on her Mac,
bring her laptop over to Robyn's?

Or did Meredith leave her laptop at home but on
when she went over to Robyn's flat for pizza, crumble and Halloween club pix viewing?

Or did she come back home and then turn on her laptop when she came home?

Or was she not in the habit of closing the screen lid all the way?

Don'tcha all turn off your laptop and close the screen lid when you leave?
Amanda did. So did Laura. So do I. You too?
I find it odd that Meredith did not do so...

Heya Vibio,
got any thoughts on this clue?
RW

Last edited by RWVBWL; 29th July 2014 at 09:01 AM.
RWVBWL is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th July 2014, 08:33 AM   #4651
Desert Fox
Philosopher

Originally Posted by analemma View Post
I think that most will agree that you could find prosecutors and police investigators in the U.S. Criminal Justice System that would be as incompetent, stubborn, xenophobic, insecure, and as unwilling to admit mistakes and employing illegal procedures as the Italian Police have shown themselves to be in the Amanda Knox case.
The difference between the systems is that if the judiciary of a U. S. hick town were to act in such an obviously uncontrolled and corrupt manner in a highly publicized U.S. case, the media attention would result in one of the other government branches, or the national judiciary, forcing the hick town judiciary to think about what it is doing and come back to reality.
What has attracted me to this case is the fact that the entire Italian nation has been buffaloed to the point where the whole Italian Judiciary has been allowed to circle the wagons and abandon all pretense of “justice”, or even common sense, in its obsessive ends-justifies-the-means face saving exercise to protect these hick town bumblers.
In Italy there is no force that can bring the judiciary back to reality as it runs, lemming-like, to the edge of a cliff where the people of Italy will see the rest of the world shaking their heads at a country that, once again, cannot control its own government.
It is as if Italy has resurrected fascism in the form of its out of control judiciary.
Norfolk Virginia is NOT a hick town but is a pretty major city
Did not stop them from locking four sailors for over a decade for a rape and murder that they did not commit.
Even today, three out of the four are still publicly convicted of the crime.
They were only released due to a limited governor pardon.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...e-confessions/
The parallels between the Norfolk Four and the AK/RS is one of the reasons I got innterested
Old 29th July 2014, 08:39 AM   #4652
Vibio
Muse

More creative writing from analemma.
Vibio is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th July 2014, 08:48 AM   #4653
Ampulla of Vater
Illuminator

Hey - if you like analemma's, you really should take a look at Mach's. It's a real hoot.
Ampulla of Vater is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th July 2014, 08:52 AM   #4654
Desert Fox
Philosopher

I agree with analemma
What happened is that they early on publicly declared that they had the suspects in custody. They then could not back down from that position. The issue in question for me is if those involved in the prosecution know that AK/RS are innocent or did those involved in the prosecution convince themselves against the evidence.
Old 29th July 2014, 08:56 AM   #4655
Vibio
Muse

I gotta love this bit from analemma:

The difference between the systems is that if the judiciary of a U. S. hick town were to act in such an obviously uncontrolled and corrupt manner
Uh.... and so what state leads the US in wrongful convictions?

Hell holes like Alabama? Mississippi? Georgia?

Nope...

http://www.innocenceproject.org/Cont...port_Finds.php
Old 29th July 2014, 09:03 AM   #4656
lonepinealex
Muse

Again, tell that to Russ Faria, Ryan Ferguson, Charles Erikson, Norfolk Four etc etc.

Seriously, what is the point of this one-upmanship? There's enough anti-Americanism and anti-Italianism in this case as it is, without fanning the flames by claiming that another jurisdiction would surely have handled this case better. We can never know that. The UK doesn't officially use the Reid technique anymore, but we couldn't know whether some other aspect of the investigation might have been fumbled or corrupted had it happened here. We just can't know.

It is relevant to look at aspects of various systems to see what works and what could be improved, learning from this and other cases. But there's no value that I can see in making blanket claims about how this case would have played out elsewhere.
lonepinealex is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th July 2014, 09:06 AM   #4657
RWVBWL
Master Poster

Nope...

Hiya Vibio,
In this thread,
WHO cares about whatever is happening in Alabama, Mississippi and Georgia?
The United States of America is not prosecuting Amanda Marie Knox nor Raffaele Sollecito, still.
Italy is...

But here's 1 backatcha:
Originally Posted by Kaosium, below
Where's the website of the Innocence Project in Italy?

Vibio!
Let's talk about Meredith Kercher's murder
and the Italian court trials of Amanda Knox, Raffaele Sollecito and Rudy Guede...

Heya Vibio,
got any opinion on why Miss Kercher's laptop was open 1"?

See my post above.

Vibio:
Ya know what?
"I'm dying for a pizza".

Err, I mean to know of your Italian, a pro-guilter, opinion
about why Meredith's laptop was open. Was it turned on?
Thanks, RW

PS-For any surfers out there,
some of the Worlds Best are competing in Huntington Beach right now:
http://www.vansusopenofsurfing.com/2014-surf/live

Last edited by RWVBWL; 29th July 2014 at 10:32 AM.
RWVBWL is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th July 2014, 09:07 AM   #4658
Kaosium
Philosopher

Another mistake you made was that Samson isn't from the US, thus that reply was entirely lost on him.
Old 29th July 2014, 09:08 AM   #4659
Kaosium
Philosopher

Nope...

http://www.innocenceproject.org/Cont...port_Finds.php

Old 29th July 2014, 09:10 AM   #4660
Kaosium
Philosopher

Originally Posted by tsig View Post
It would be impossible to reform Italy's justice system to match the US's because Italy doesn't have that many blacks to lock up.
They substitute the foreign born instead.
Old 29th July 2014, 09:20 AM   #4661
analemma
Banned

I agree with analemma
What happened is that they early on publicly declared that they had the suspects in custody. They then could not back down from that position. The issue in question for me is if those involved in the prosecution know that AK/RS are innocent or did those involved in the prosecution convince themselves against the evidence.
It was in their interest to convince themselves against the evidence, and they did, and still do.
I may have been misunderstood.
I agree with everyone that miscarriages of justice can occur in the US, or anywhere.
But for the whole NATIONAL judiciary to circle the wagons to protect the hick town to protect NATIONAL Honor, as the Italian Judiciary has, is something that I do not see happening.
And if this case has shown anything, it has shown that the Italian Public is terrified of its own judiciary.
analemma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th July 2014, 09:27 AM   #4662
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Kaosium View Post
I'd agree with Vibio about the US incarcerating too many people and many for non-violent offenses. The US also has its share of wrongful prosecutions and incarcerations. I'm not comfortable comparing the problems with the judicial and penal systems in each country. Both have their issues and because the US has a federal system of government, it will always have some jurisdictions that lag behind the others.
Education, not epiphanies
Intellect, not ignorance.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th July 2014, 09:27 AM   #4663
lonepinealex
Muse

It was in their interest to convince themselves against the evidence, and they did, and still do.
I agree with everyone that miscarriages of justice can occur in the US, or anywhere.
But for the whole NATIONAL judiciary to circle the wagons to protect the hick town to protect NATIONAL Honor, as the Italian Judiciary has, is something that I do not see happening.
And if this case has shown anything, it has shown that the Italian Public is terrified of its own judiciary.
You're comparing apples and oranges though. The US is a huge affiliation of states, making it closer to the EU rather than an individual European country. That's one of the reasons it's meaningless to talk about the whole US system as a comparison - each state has its own system, just as EU countries do.
lonepinealex is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th July 2014, 09:41 AM   #4664
Desert Fox
Philosopher

Originally Posted by lonepinealex View Post
You're comparing apples and oranges though. The US is a huge affiliation of states, making it closer to the EU rather than an individual European country. That's one of the reasons it's meaningless to talk about the whole US system as a comparison - each state has its own system, just as EU countries do.
It make take decades but New York seems willing to fully exonerate
Virginia and Idaho give limited exoneration
Texas, they execute you anyway
Old 29th July 2014, 09:43 AM   #4665
RWVBWL
Master Poster

Hi Vibio,
I've never been to Italy, but I've met more than a few Italian surfers travelin' here in L.A.
cool guys and pretty girls, locals travellin' around the World who live + surf there back at home*.
Italian waves can sometimes be fun, I've seen some pumping surfpix of excellent surf!!!

But after reading of some of the courtroom antics of The Judge and Prosecutors,
in Amanda Marie Knox and Raffaele Sollecito 1st Trial,
I don't wish any foreigners to visit Perugia and ever have to deal with your court system!

1) During the mind numbing cell phone network details, the prosecutor falls asleep.*
2) One eldery juror becomes well known for napping after his lunch.*
3) Judge Massei, while on the podium, answers his cell phone while the trial is underway.*
4) Prosecutor Manuela Comodi plays solitaire on her computer when she wasn't on the podium.*

WTF!

Reference:
1) Page 122/123 Angel Face, Author: Barbie Nadeau
2) Page 123 Angel Face, Author: Barbie Nadeau
3) Page 319, Murder in Italy, Author: Candace Dempsey
4) Page 310, Murder in Italy, Author: Candace Dempsey

PS:
*-I've never met an Italian surfer who believed Amanda and Raff
were guilty of participating in Meredith Kercher's horrible murder.
And I like to ask them without giving details of my knowledge of the case.
Hmmmm, what do Italian surfers know?

Last edited by RWVBWL; 29th July 2014 at 10:00 AM.
Old 29th July 2014, 09:43 AM   #4666
Vibio
Muse

Just keep making things up.

I can't find any polls about how whether or not Italians are terrified of their judiciary, but the latest Eurispes poll shows satisfaction with the police at 75%. Higher than the Gallop poll for Americans on the subject.
Old 29th July 2014, 09:43 AM   #4667
Chris_Halkides
Philosopher

Reuters overview of Italy's penal system

Originally Posted by Kaosium View Post
They substitute the foreign born instead.
The Reuters article to which I linked earlier had a similar statistic. Here is another interesting pair quotes: "Prison rights group Antigone says they are the most crowded in the European Union with occupancy at more than 142 percent of capacity. There are close to 67,000 prisoners in jails built for 45,000...Prison reform group Antigone says a leading cause of overcrowding is the large number of people remanded in custody after being charged instead of being released on bail. They make up 40 percent of the prison population compared to 23 percent in France and 15 percent in Germany and Britain."

The Italian Innocence Project got sued by a bunch of PMs for defamation and went out of business. (J/K)

Last edited by Chris_Halkides; 29th July 2014 at 09:49 AM.
Chris_Halkides is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th July 2014, 09:53 AM   #4668
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Chris_Halkides View Post
The Reuters article to which I linked earlier had a similar statistic. Here is another interesting quote: "Prison reform group Antigone says a leading cause of overcrowding is the large number of people remanded in custody after being charged instead of being released on bail. They make up 40 percent of the prison population compared to 23 percent in France and 15 percent in Germany and Britain."

The Italian Innocence Project got sued by a bunch of PMs for defamation and went out of business. (J/K)
That is in a nutshell, Italy's biggest problems with its judicial system. The PM's and the system has "thin skin". There is no room for criticism. They are far too bus suing people for callunia. It hamstrings everyone. That one single reform would go further in improving their system than anything else. And the reason is simple. It allows the actual identification of the problem which in many cases is that the PM's have far too much power.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th July 2014, 09:54 AM   #4669
Desert Fox
Philosopher

Don't forget that Italy has only about twice the population of California or around three times that of Texas. Given the choice for being tried for murder in Texas or Italy, I think I would chose Italy. . . . .Unless I am shooting an "escort" getting away with my money
Old 29th July 2014, 09:54 AM   #4670
Vibio
Muse

Originally Posted by RWVBWL View Post
Hi Vibio,
But after reading of some of the courtroom antics of The Judge and Prosecutors...
This one's for you:

"Former Judge Donald D. Thompson, a veteran of 23 years on the bench, is on trial on charges he used a penis pump on himself in the courtroom while sitting in judgment of others."

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/13599320/n.../#.U9fQEZhTtFQ

Last edited by Vibio; 29th July 2014 at 09:55 AM.
Old 29th July 2014, 09:58 AM   #4671
Desert Fox
Philosopher

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
That is in a nutshell, Italy's biggest problems with its judicial system. The PM's and the system has "thin skin". There is no room for criticism. They are far too bus suing people for callunia. It hamstrings everyone. That one single reform would go further in improving their system than anything else. And the reason is simple. It allows the actual identification of the problem which in many cases is that the PM's have far too much power.
Actual free speech is very important for any democracy to run.
You have to let the crazies talk, have to let the Klan march, etc.

Last edited by Desert Fox; 29th July 2014 at 10:03 AM.
Desert Fox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th July 2014, 10:06 AM   #4672
Vibio
Muse

Originally Posted by Chris_Halkides View Post

*sigh* "TheProfessor"...

http://progettoinnocenti.it/index.php

Last edited by Vibio; 29th July 2014 at 10:07 AM.
Old 29th July 2014, 10:12 AM   #4673
RWVBWL
Master Poster

This one's for you:

"Former Judge Donald D. Thompson, a veteran of 23 years on the bench, is on trial on charges he used a penis pump on himself in the courtroom while sitting in judgment of others."

Too funny Vibio!
Thanks for the laugh.
But it's sad. For Judges and Prosecutors are held to The Highest Standard, right?
At least the judge was busted and is facin' trial, possible imprisonment and probale disbarment, right?
Gotta luv The American System, yea!

Last edited by RWVBWL; 29th July 2014 at 11:25 AM.
Old 29th July 2014, 10:19 AM   #4674
Chris_Halkides
Philosopher

Urban dictionary

*sigh*
J/K means just kidding.
Old 29th July 2014, 10:33 AM   #4675
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

This one's for you:

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/13599320/n.../#.U9fQEZhTtFQ
Of course the point is that he is no longer on the bench and is on trial. You still have nutjobs like Nencini sitting on the bench and morons like Mignini working as a PM.
Old 29th July 2014, 10:39 AM   #4676
analemma
Banned

Just keep making things up.

I can't find any polls about how whether or not Italians are terrified of their judiciary, but the latest Eurispes poll shows satisfaction with the police at 75%. Higher than the Gallop poll for Americans on the subject.
Are you Peter Quennell or Yummi?
Old 29th July 2014, 10:50 AM   #4677
analemma
Banned

Are you Peter Quennell or Yummi?
Sorry: I digress.

Sure they trust their police, that is why every Italian who even knew Meredith and knew how teh police worked lawyered up or left the country as soon as they could, except for Rudy Guede, who was treated as if he already worked for the prosecutors office.
Old 29th July 2014, 11:01 AM   #4678
analemma
Banned

Actual free speech is very important for any democracy to run.
You have to let the crazies talk, have to let the Klan march, etc.
Crazies talking and Klan Marches are the price for freedom.
Americans have learned that.
Italy is not willing to pay the price of freedom, freedom in Italy is reserved for those who officially judge others.
Old 29th July 2014, 11:04 AM   #4679
codyjuneau
Muse

Originally Posted by Bill Williams
Maybe Mignini can help

Asked whether Knox “knew some drug dealers” who “could have had a role in the murder,” Mignini insisted “I cannot answer this,” but wrote down their names, according to Giallo’s reporter.

Knox has yet to comment on the cocaine claims, but Mignini warned, “Amanda knows how to lie very well. She seemed sincere and credible.”In light of the new evidence, however, he says he does not expect her to change her testimony. “I would be astonished,” he explained. “She had plenty of occasions to tell her truth.”

http://radaronline.com/exclusives/20...campaign=share

Note the hilited part. This purported interview is very recent, which makes her near 7 year marathon performance at lying sincerely and credibly impressive. What do these clowns really believe?
See upthread where John Follain relates in his book, "Death in Italy," that at one point Mignini thinks Amanda is sincere, but the very next page Mignini thinks she is a liar and an actress.

And on the basis of Mignini thinking her a liar and an actress, he rushes out and has Lumumba arrested because of what she tells him.

I think Mignini may not have thought of her a a liar and an actress until AFTER she recanted her statement, AND they realized Lumumba was innocent.

It is possible the police originally thought she had done nothing more than facilitate a date at the cottage between Lumumba and Meredith which resulted in Lumumba murdering Meredith. For various reasons they had this theory before, during, and immediately after the interrogation. They thought she was either too afraid of Lumumba to tell anyone, she had blocked it from her memory, or both. When they convinced her that she had blocked the memory out ("She buckled and made an admission of facts that we knew were correct") they rushed out and arrested Lumumba and announced case closed to the world. At the time, the police seemed satisfied with her statement that she was cowering in the kitchen holding her hands over her ears while Lumumba was murdering Meredith in the bedroom.

Later, when she re-unblocked her real memory and recanted, and it became apparent that Lumumba had an airtight alibi, Mignini and his minions decided they had been duped and embarrassed by the clever evil American witch bitch so therefore she must be the actual murderer. They never got over it, and any possibility of a fair prosecution and trial after that became impossible.

I am not locked to this theory, but it does explain a lot, and understanding the problem is fundamental to solving the problem. I would like to hear arguments for or against it, particularly with regards to the time-line. For this theory; a sincere police investigation before the interrogation, a prejudiced and dishonest police investigation after Amanda's recanting of her coerced statement.

Interestingly, nothing of the above precludes Rudy from being a police informer, or of some police protecting him. It's just that they either never considered him before the forensic test results were obtained, or if a few did, they never mentioned it.

Cody
codyjuneau is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th July 2014, 11:08 AM   #4680
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by codyjuneau View Post

I think Mignini may not have thought of her a a liar and an actress until AFTER she recanted her statement, AND they realized Lumumba was innocent.

Cody
This is really the only lie Amanda told and it had to be coerced out of her. Sadly, even this isn't really a lie. It is an implanted memory by her interrogators. You can tell this by her statements at the time.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events