ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 11th January 2017, 10:54 AM   #41
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Really? My impression was, what blatantly superlative lying.
Those two things are not mutually exclusive.
Old 11th January 2017, 10:55 AM   #42
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
But the real question is, did he get pissed on.

I think the report said he likes to watch.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 10:55 AM   #43
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Did you miss the sentence he threw in there that he doesn't have to do any divesting.
How could I miss it? It was repeated at least once, if not more.

It's still just a facade.
Old 11th January 2017, 10:56 AM   #44
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
Yeah, but his proposed solution makes one wonder if he even understands the problem.

The DNC emails were a leak and the Podesta emails were a case of a user being tricked into giving away login credentials. Neither of those problems can be addressed by having a few IT guys make sure the latest security patches are all applied or tweaking their permissions protocol.
Ok, some of the systems between ears need some patching, too ^^
Old 11th January 2017, 10:56 AM   #45
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

The DNC emails were a leak and the Podesta emails were a case of a user being tricked into giving away login credentials. Neither of those problems can be addressed by having a few IT guys make sure the latest security patches are all applied or tweaking their permissions protocol.
Maybe he plans to educate people in simple security procedures.

"How many leaves on the seventh branch of the fourth tree?" is meaningless when you are in the wrong forest: ozeco41
DGM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 10:56 AM   #46
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
I'm more worried that he is actively letting Russia get away with their shenanigans, as long as they benefit him personally, up to and including cooperating with their agents.
I'd be more worried about this if it marked a substantial departure from the policy of the past 8 years.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 10:58 AM   #47
Delphic Oracle
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
I don't know where I hear this (If it was from someone on this board, I apologize for the plagiarism), the distinguishing characteristic of a Trump support appears to be how Trump says something, not what was actually said. I can't say I understand why that would be true, but it certainly appears to fit with my experiences. How else can he complete contradict himself between two sentences and still be heralded for it?
"70% how you look, 20% how you sound, only 10% is what you say." -Eddie Izzard

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 10:59 AM   #48
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
I'm more worried that he is actively letting Russia get away with their shenanigans, as long as they benefit him personally, up to and including cooperating with their agents.
From memory:
Originally Posted by Trump
If Putin likes Donald Trump, I consider that an asset, not a liability.
Old 11th January 2017, 11:01 AM   #49
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

How could I miss it? It was repeated at least once, if not more.

It's still just a facade.
Sorry, I know you said that in your second sentence but it was the first sentence I had a different view of:
Quote:
Well, at least he is giving the appearance of pretending to divulge his more obvious conflicts of interest.
I didn't think he gave the appearance of anything but a con. OTOH, at least one person in this thread does seem to have bought the con hook, line and sinker.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 11:02 AM   #50
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Now I know why he hasn't hsd a press conference for six months.

Is that how they are going to be all the time?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 11:03 AM   #51
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Off to watch CSPAN3, they are covering the Tillerson hearing.
Old 11th January 2017, 11:14 AM   #52
Lothian
should be banned

Great to see Trump standing up to journalists questions. No one wants to see people pissing all over the President of America.

Last edited by Lothian; 11th January 2017 at 11:15 AM.
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 11:25 AM   #53
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
Did he manage a single coherent, grammatically correct sentence?
Well, you see... this thing... I'm talking about Trump. He's like... and you have to understand, he's the President-Elect, right? So once he starts... and I mean when he begins to talk, he's got a good... you know, I think he's not such a bad talker and... well, you and I can disagree, but I think so, don't you?

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
That is CTist thinking.

It is smart to not escalate this kind of conflict.
It's also a bad idea to let other countries mess with your democratic process. That is also part of realpolitiks.
Old 11th January 2017, 11:36 AM   #54
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

I don't know where I hear this (If it was from someone on this board, I apologize for the plagiarism), the distinguishing characteristic of a Trump support appears to be how Trump says something, not what was actually said. I can't say I understand why that would be true, but it certainly appears to fit with my experiences.
(Shrug) Style over substance is a pretty safe bet when you're selling style as the sum of substance to people who prefer it that way. What we see as bombastic blathering, other folks see as the Take Charge Guy Who's Gonna Get Things Done. What things, and how? Who cares? It's the image that counts (and sells).
Quote:
How else can he complete contradict himself between two sentences and still be heralded for it?
Didn't Trump himself say something to the effect of being able to shoot someone on the street and not losing a single supporter over it? Hell, he's contradicted their expectations of him- "gonna repeal Obamacare" has now become, essentially (IIRC), "there are good things in it, let's be cautious here"; "put Hilary in jail" became "meh, I dunno, maybe not"; and I'm sure there are other examples. He hasn't actually put his theory to the test by shooting anyone yet, but I think he has read his supporters exactly right.

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 11:41 AM   #55
seayakin
Graduate Poster

I can't help but think he is working pissing the off the American intelligence agencies. He had a zinger towards them

Quote:
released - who knows - maybe by the intelligence agencies... It should never have been released
This seems to show a continued distrust.
Old 11th January 2017, 11:44 AM   #56
carlosy
Scholar

I saw some snippets of the press conference.

Can some tell me what exactly he was referring to when he called something fake news?
carlosy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 11:47 AM   #57
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Originally Posted by carlosy View Post

Can some tell me what exactly he was referring to when he called something fake news?
In general, fake news is any news that bad for Trump.

Specifically in this case is the dossier delivered by John McCain to the FBI implicating Trump has been compromised by the Russians.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 11:51 AM   #58
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Leaked (and unverified) intelligence that Russia has footage of him involved in kinky stuff with prostitutes.

Hilite of the ensuing Trumper tweetrum:
Quote:
Russia has never tried to use leverage over me. I HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH RUSSIA - NO DEALS, NO LOANS, NO NOTHING!
[ETA] (yes he does)

I've long since come to the conclusion that Trump only directly denies things about him that are absolutely true.

Last edited by Beelzebuddy; 11th January 2017 at 11:58 AM.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 11:53 AM   #59
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I'm worried about Alec Baldwin. How is it possible to parody someone who is their own self-parody?
Old 11th January 2017, 11:56 AM   #60
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by seayakin View Post
I can't help but think he is working pissing the off the American intelligence agencies. He had a zinger towards them

This seems to show a continued distrust.
Part of the US right-wing's continued assault on experts, authority and facts in general.
Old 11th January 2017, 11:57 AM   #61
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
In general, fake news is any news that bad for Trump.
It's incredible how fast this emergent term was co-opted by the very people that it describes, and altered into meaninglessness.
Old 11th January 2017, 11:57 AM   #62
Stacko
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
Hilite of the ensuing Trumper tweetrum:
Quote:
Russia has never tried to use leverage over me. I HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH RUSSIA - NO DEALS, NO LOANS, NO NOTHING!
I've long since come to the conclusion that Trump only directly denies things about him that are absolutely true.
Hmm.

Quote:
“Russians make up a pretty disproportionate cross-section of a lot of our assets,” Trump’s son, Donald Jr., told a real estate conference in 2008, according to an account posted on the website of eTurboNews, a trade publication. “We see a lot of money pouring in from Russia.”
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 11:59 AM   #63
Delphic Oracle
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
It's incredible how fast this emergent term was co-opted by the very people that it describes, and altered into meaninglessness.
I've also seen 'alt-left' getting tossed around in comments sections more and more.

I pretty much file stuff like this in with similar arguments like "I'm rubber, you're glue" and "I know you are, but what am I?"
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 12:00 PM   #64
Argumemnon
World Maker

We're going to transition from post-fact to post-language world pretty soon, it seems.
Old 11th January 2017, 12:02 PM   #65
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Fake news grew exponentially over the last year with completely fabricated stories spread via FaceBook and other social media.

Trump embraced fake news when it derided Clinton, and he rejects it as an excuse to deny any and all negative stories about Trump be they true or false.
Old 11th January 2017, 12:04 PM   #66
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Here's a recording (by evil RUSSIANS!!!, starts at around 20 min into the video) of the whole thing:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Last edited by Childlike Empress; 11th January 2017 at 12:06 PM.
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 12:05 PM   #67
Spindrift

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
Here's a recording (by evil RUSSIANS!!!) of the whole thing:

I AGREE
Why do you think the Russians are evil?
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 12:08 PM   #68
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
Why do you think the Russians are evil?

Old 11th January 2017, 12:50 PM   #69
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

One good thing that came out of the Trump press conference is that Trump himself essentially admitted that it was the Russians who did the hacking that has been in the news lately.

A man's best friend is his dogma.

Last edited by Crossbow; 11th January 2017 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Correct a spelling error
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 12:51 PM   #70
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
Once good thing that came out of the Trump press conference is that Trump himself essentially admitted that it was the Russians who did the hacking that has been in the news lately.
Aw, but I had it on good authority that the hacking was a fairy tale!

ETA: So it was more Trump Confession than Trump Conference?

Last edited by Argumemnon; 11th January 2017 at 01:04 PM.
Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 12:59 PM   #71
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

I'm glad that he did not take a question from CNN. I hate the bullying that came with it, but there is no legal requirement.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 01:01 PM   #72
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way
Originally Posted by logger View Post
I've never seen a press conference like that, people around the country have a bit more kick in their step after listening to that. The left is in a complete tail spin.
Like this?:
Old 11th January 2017, 01:07 PM   #73
Spindrift

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
Once good thing that came out of the Trump press conference is that Trump himself essentially admitted that it was the Russians who did the hacking that has been in the news lately.
Yes he admitted it, until it's inconvenient that he admitted it and then it will be that he didn't mean to admit it. Everything is fungible.
Old 11th January 2017, 01:12 PM   #74
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

The law firm that spoke at the conference and set up the not-at-all-blind trust?

Chambers & Partners Names Morgan Lewis as Russia Law Firm of the Year

A keep checking for indications that it's a joke site. Pretty sure it's legit.
Old 11th January 2017, 01:17 PM   #75
Stacko
Philosopher

Seems fitting.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 01:18 PM   #76
sunmaster14
Philosopher

I've also seen 'alt-left' getting tossed around in comments sections more and more.
I think it's supposed to be 'ctrl-left". Which is clever in my opinion.

Quote:
I pretty much file stuff like this in with similar arguments like "I'm rubber, you're glue" and "I know you are, but what am I?"
Well, in the case of the term "tea-bagger," the juvenile name-calling was adopted by the most prominent people on the left, including President Obama himself. I don't think labeling a movement as either alt-right or ctrl-left is as juvenile as that.
sunmaster14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 01:19 PM   #77
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
The irony, it burns!
Old 11th January 2017, 01:21 PM   #78
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by sunmaster14 View Post
Hilarious, in fact.

I wonder which group'll get the shift key, then.
Old 11th January 2017, 01:23 PM   #79
Spindrift

Originally Posted by sunmaster14 View Post

Well, in the case of the term "tea-bagger," the juvenile name-calling was adopted by the most prominent people on the left, including President Obama himself. I don't think labeling a movement as either alt-right or ctrl-left is as juvenile as that.
Adopted by others because that's what the teabaggers called themselves.
Old 11th January 2017, 01:23 PM   #80
Dumb All Over
A Little Ugly on the Side

Location: They call it the Earth (which is a dumb kinda name)
The delete key is going to soon be applied to the Obama administration.
The Three Word Story Pledge of Allegiance- "I Hereby swear upon Engelbert's grave that I will gallop, not stride run, not walk posting three words on Shemp's honor, honoring: bananas, dwarfs, clarinets, [the 7th naughty forum word], haggis, Batman, nuns, wombats until such time as I'm sober. Or dead."
"Some people have a way with words, other people...Um...Oh...Uh, not have way." -Steve Martin
Dumb All Over is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics