ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » International Skeptics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags forum software , XenForo

Old 1st April 2017, 09:48 AM   #81
Solitaire
Neoclinus blanchardi

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
If anyone's interested AH.com has migrated and it seems fine.

How about we migrate AAH forum and see what happens?
Old 4th May 2017, 05:20 PM   #82
ViewsofMars
Scholar

Originally Posted by icerat View Post
Hi icerat. You might want to look at his page from xenforo:
Resolved Bug Reports

https://xenforo.com/community/forums/resolved-bugs/
ViewsofMars is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2017, 08:30 AM   #83
Dabop
Muse

Talking

Originally Posted by ViewsofMars View Post
Hi icerat. You might want to look at his page from xenforo:
Resolved Bug Reports

https://xenforo.com/community/forums/resolved-bugs/
I think this thread from the Resolved Bugs page might be considered appropriate
This thread might be appropriate

'When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.' George Carlin
Dabop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2018, 06:17 AM   #84
lpetrich
Muse

December 28, 2017:
vBulletin 3.X End of Life - vBulletin Community Forum
vBulletin 4.X Publishing Suite End of Life - vBulletin Community Forum
"While we will strive to support the latest version, we do not foresee any further development of the series."

Seems like they will only be doing security patches and the like.
lpetrich is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2018, 03:24 PM   #85
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by lpetrich View Post
December 28, 2017:
"While we will strive to support the latest version, we do not foresee any further development of the series."

Suddenly we will wake up and discover there is a fatal flaw in the version of vBulletin and this software will not work. It only takes one Window update... And it is good-bye forum.
Old 10th April 2018, 05:52 PM   #86
TheGnome
Thinker

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
Suddenly we will wake up and discover there is a fatal flaw in the version of vBulletin and this software will not work. It only takes one Window update... And it is good-bye forum.
You think Icerat is using Windows on his servers?
TheGnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2018, 06:33 PM   #87
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I'd forgotten about this thread, but would point out that one of my favorite photo sites including forum switched a while back to Xenforo, and it was a debacle. It has taken them a long time to get working properly at all, still is sometimes unruly, with things loading at the wrong time - for example off site ads refreshing themselves before the main pages are done, causing an endless failure to load. It took a year or so before they managed to sort out a login problem that had many members logged off before they finished posting, and required re-logging every time one left the page. Many participants bailed.

I do indeed hope Icerat is keeping some track of things and not letting this forum just die on the vine, but so far I'd say the software is working pretty nicely.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2018, 07:32 PM   #88
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lpetrich View Post
December 28, 2017:

It's not as if this forum is even on the latest version.

That said, it works well enough. I'm not terribly anxious for a change.
Old 10th April 2018, 10:49 PM   #89
Klimax
NWO Cyborg 5960x (subversion VPUNPCKHQDQ)

Originally Posted by TheGnome View Post
That would be least bad option. More likely it is Linux box with whole bunch of outdated libraries supporting old PHP and a single update would cause this house of cards to fall apart.

Engine: Ibalgin 400
Klimax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2018, 10:51 PM   #90
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Not important. Many members do use Windows. If that starts to refuse to run vBulletin then these members will not use this forum. Remember a lot of old games (read software) will not run at all on Windows 10. But they do run just fine on Windows 95 or DOS 3.1. For a few pieces of my old software I need to use my A or B drive, but that is another issue.

Then you mention software that Icerat is using. Same thing. If that refuses to run vBulletin or even causes problems, how much effort do you think Icerat will give to fix the problem, rather than tell us that the forum is dead?

Even worse, Icerat may wake up one day, realise that this forum is using resources that is needed to produce money and close the forum down.

I say it is just a matter of time before something like this happens. May take a few years.

Edit. Plus what Klimax said above.
Old 11th April 2018, 11:07 AM   #91
TheGnome
Thinker

Not important. Many members do use Windows. If that starts to refuse to run vBulletin then these members will not use this forum. Remember a lot of old games (read software) will not run at all on Windows 10. But they do run just fine on Windows 95 or DOS 3.1. For a few pieces of my old software I need to use my A or B drive, but that is another issue.

Then you mention software that Icerat is using. Same thing. If that refuses to run vBulletin or even causes problems, how much effort do you think Icerat will give to fix the problem, rather than tell us that the forum is dead?

Even worse, Icerat may wake up one day, realise that this forum is using resources that is needed to produce money and close the forum down.

I say it is just a matter of time before something like this happens. May take a few years.

Edit. Plus what Klimax said above.
What I was hinting at is nobody uses Windows or OSX or Linux to access the forum. We use a browser for that. That is just a front end, more or less independent of the os we are using. The forum software is run on the server. It may one day break down when new features and bugs are introduced into Linux (most probably), or when say the HTML standard is updated e.g.

So this "Windows update broke the forum" is just a red herring.
TheGnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2018, 11:11 AM   #92
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

It would have to be one of those "unlikely but devastating" flaws. Everything mostly works, and what few bugs exist aren't fatal... but if a certain three things happen, and certain (undocumented) precautions are not taken, then all is lost. Probably won't happen to you. If it does, though, you'll wish you'd upgraded.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2018, 11:13 AM   #93
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Um. None of this works the way you think it does.

I mean, it's remotely conceivable that Windows may stop being able to handle some of the forum's client-side javascript (assuming the forum actually uses client-side javascript), but that is vanishingly unlikely. Still, that possibility would at least get you out of "not even wrong" territory and into "interesting idea but probably not a real risk" territory.

Last edited by theprestige; 11th April 2018 at 11:15 AM.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2018, 11:56 AM   #94
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
(assuming the forum actually uses client-side javascript)

It does, but it also works with JS turned off (minus some things like opening the youtube-containers or using the buttons in the posting editor). Which is pretty rare these days. I used to turn it off when the forum had its ultra-slow days in the late JREF period. Likely XenForo isn't usable without JS.
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2018, 03:30 PM   #95
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

What I was hinting at is nobody uses Windows or OSX or Linux to access the forum. We use a browser for that. That is just a front end, more or less independent of the os we are using. The forum software is run on the server. It may one day break down when new features and bugs are introduced into Linux (most probably), or when say the HTML standard is updated e.g.

So this "Windows update broke the forum" is just a red herring.
So another piece of software that could break the forum. We could wake up one day to find that we cannot access the forum using Chrome. My argument stands. It does not matter what software breaks the forum, one day something will.
Old 11th April 2018, 09:19 PM   #96
TheGnome
Thinker

So another piece of software that could break the forum. We could wake up one day to find that we cannot access the forum using Chrome. My argument stands. It does not matter what software breaks the forum, one day something will.
The day Chrome breaks our forum it may very well break the whole internet.

There are probably quite a few thngs to worry about the version of vBulletin we are using.But you keep pointing out problems that don't really have all that much to do with the vintage of our forum software. They are more general problems with the evolution of the internet etc. that will affect even software that is new and shiny today.

International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » International Skeptics