IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags political predictions , political speculation , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 31st July 2017, 01:41 PM   #41
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

If Kelly has any self-respect, he made a demotion of the Mooch (demoochen) a condition of taking the Chief of Staff helm.

Kelly also ought to have other conditions. One being: Mr. President, stop shooting off your brainfarts unchecked! A WP comment suggested the following: Make it clear to the President that Kelly will step down immediately the moment Trump twitters the first demonstrable lie.

And because Trump cannot be counted on to keep promises and show some of the discipline a general would expect, I say Kelly is next.

Last edited by Oystein; 31st July 2017 at 01:44 PM.
Oystein is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2017, 03:25 PM   #42
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I think none of us were expecting Mooch to last long,but out after ten freaking days?????
It almost looks like Trump appointing him was a mistake.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2017, 03:28 PM   #43
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
The White House is getting more like Game of Thrones everyday....
Nonsense. Game of Thrones characters are cool.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2017, 03:36 PM   #44
Mikemcc
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
It almost looks like Trump appointing him was a mistake.
Which makes Trumps suitability for office look like...?
Mikemcc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2017, 04:37 PM   #45
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
Mooch
You called it!!!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2017, 05:05 PM   #46
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Scaramouche's departure must just about be setting a record for being mentioned in the most ISF threads, including at least two new ones. Only the best for Trump!
Old 1st August 2017, 09:28 AM   #47
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
Kelly also ought to have other conditions. One being: Mr. President, stop shooting off your brainfarts unchecked!
Hypothesis disconfirmed.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...83242535481344
Old 1st August 2017, 10:34 AM   #48
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
Why would Trump tweet this the day Kelly took office? Perhaps because it IS a topic of contention?

I didn't say Kelly ought to demand that Trump stops using Twitter. I said he ought to demand that Trump does not shoot off on Twitter unchecked. This tweet then would toe that line if Trump ran it past Kelly
Old 3rd August 2017, 01:56 PM   #49
CORed
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Please explain how such a law would be constitutionally dubious. I also don't see how he could take him off the case or fire him. Also Constitutionally speaking enforcement power is entrusted to Congress. Congress has empowered the President to nominate an Attorney General with consent of the Congress. This is NOT in the Constitution. If Congress wanted it could remove the President entirely from the process. It would just have to pass legislation.
It's constitutionally dubious because the Justice Department (and any special prosecutors appointed under its authority) is part of the Executive branch, for which the President has constitutional authority to fire appointees. And your misunderstanding notwithstanding, the appointment of the Attorney General, and the requirement that the appointment be approved by the Senate (not the full Congress) is covered by Article II of the Constitution.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2017, 02:00 PM   #50
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

As one wag said,who will be the next to be evacuated from Donkirk?

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2017, 05:45 PM   #51
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I'm betting Kushner will go back to run the family business. He won't adjust well to Kelly and more will come out about his talks with the Russians. Between Kelly running the show and a soon to come series of revelations about Jared and Russia he'll leave or get forced out.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2017, 05:48 PM   #52
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I'm betting Kushner will go back to run the family business. He won't adjust well to Kelly and more will come out about his talks with the Russians. Between Kelly running the show and a soon to come series of revelations about Jared and Russia he'll leave or get forced out.
Who will do all the work if he leaves? The Orange Menace put him in charge of almost everything.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2017, 05:49 PM   #53
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

Interesting choice, given the broad scope of Jared's portfolio.
Old 4th August 2017, 03:13 AM   #54
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
I think Tillerson. I think there are enough people to talk trump out of firing Sessions for having pretending to have some ethics. So unless maybe his kids get indicted I don't see Sessions going anywhere
FTFY.

Sessions was dragged kicking and screaming into his (sort of) recusal. I don't think he deserves a lot of credit for the ethical virtue of the decision.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2017, 03:24 AM   #55
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Interesting choice, given the broad scope of Jared's portfolio.
But the Hair doesn't think about the consequences of his actions. If he did, he wouldn't have colluded with the Russians.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2017, 04:44 AM   #56
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

Never forget all those who have already fallen from grace...

https://twitter.com/BlueBallSkeptic/...08922152247296
Old 4th August 2017, 07:20 AM   #57
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

But the Hair doesn't think about the consequences of his actions. If he did, he wouldn't have colluded with the Russians.
What consequences? Jared spent his time so far learning about the Middle East, and recently reported that he has by now figured out that it is a very complex situation.

The replacement might conceivably know this already, and thus pick up where Kuchner leaves.
Old 4th August 2017, 07:24 AM   #58
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Never forget all those who have already fallen from grace...

https://twitter.com/BlueBallSkeptic/...08922152247296
Let us all observe a moment of silence in respect of these great souls who have fallen while serving our country... oh hell, I just couldn't stop laughing!
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2017, 07:26 AM   #59
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

I'm actually a bit sad about Yates and Comey.

Old 4th August 2017, 02:02 PM   #60
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
It's constitutionally dubious because the Justice Department (and any special prosecutors appointed under its authority) is part of the Executive branch, for which the President has constitutional authority to fire appointees. And your misunderstanding notwithstanding, the appointment of the Attorney General, and the requirement that the appointment be approved by the Senate (not the full Congress) is covered by Article II of the Constitution.
History begs to differ here. In the wake of Watergate and the Saturday Night Massacre, Congress instituted the Office of Independent Counsel, which existed until 1999:
Quote:
The prosecutor, who was appointed by a special panel of the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, could investigate allegations of any misconduct, with an unlimited budget and no deadline, and could be dismissed only by the Attorney General for "good cause" or by the special panel of the court when the independent counsel's task was completed. As the president could not dismiss those investigating the executive branch it was felt that the independence of the office would ensure impartiality of any reports presented to Congress. However, there have been many critics of this law including Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia.[1] Many argued the new Independent Counsel's office was a sort of "fourth branch" of government that had virtually unlimited powers and was answerable to no one. However, the constitutionality of the new office was ultimately upheld in the 1988 Supreme Court case Morrison v. Olson.
All Congress has to do is to re-instate the provisions from the Ethics in Government Act which instituted it.
"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf

"I think accuracy is important" - Vixen

Last edited by ddt; 4th August 2017 at 02:03 PM.
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2017, 02:19 PM   #61
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

And Bannon seems to have fallen into disfavor with Stephan Miller now probably the most powerful member of the Nationalist wing of the White House.
Looks like Bannon;s declaration that he was another Thomas Cromwell might come true considering what happened to Cromwell when Henry the Eight got tired of him and felt he was too powerful....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2017, 06:49 AM   #62
zorro99
Graduate Poster

Evidently Trump's base as exemplified by Breitbart are mad at General McMaster.

http://www.breitbart.com/jerusalem/2...-nuclear-deal/
Old 7th August 2017, 07:14 AM   #63
Civet
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by zorro99 View Post

Alt-right's been sharpening their knives for McMaster for a while. I consider it a good sign that my early enthusiasm for his hiring was not misplaced. Media Matters has a story defending him and claiming, among other things, that Russian bots are pushing a #FireMcMaster hashtag. No idea if that's true. Interesting claim, though.
Civet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2017, 08:56 AM   #64
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by zorro99 View Post

Sort of last week's news now.

Anti-McMaster narrative was heavily pushed by bots:
https://twitter.com/HenHokie/status/893582911949213698

Then they let it go, after POTUS reaffirmed his support for the NSA:
https://twitter.com/qjurecic/status/894303712121892865

Not sure why Russia wanted to test this line out. Do they hold a grudge against Susan Rice?

p.s. I'm changing my bet to Tillerson.

Last edited by d4m10n; 7th August 2017 at 08:58 AM.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2017, 07:17 AM   #65
Arcade22
Philosopher

And no, Cuba is not a brutal and corrupt dictatorship, and it's definitely less so than Sweden. - dann

Last edited by Arcade22; 9th August 2017 at 07:18 AM. Reason: Wrong thread
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2017, 12:31 PM   #66
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

Changing my vote (again) to Kelly.

https://twitter.com/allahpundit/stat...71457986621440
Old 9th August 2017, 12:40 PM   #67
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

First crack in Kelly's wall.....

Robert Heinlein.
Old 9th August 2017, 09:48 PM   #68
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Sorry, but Kelly is not in the Chain of Command for the Nuclear Twitter Codes.
Old 10th August 2017, 05:20 AM   #69
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I'm still going with Kushner. The FBI seized documents in the raid on Manafort's home related to the meeting with the representatives of the Russian government. That means there's something there. Getting him out of the White House will become crucial soon. He's the only person in the administration (that we know of now) who was at that meeting and that's where the collusion began.
Old 10th August 2017, 05:33 AM   #70
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

I'm still going with Kushner. The FBI seized documents in the raid on Manafort's home related to the meeting with the representatives of the Russian government. That means there's something there. Getting him out of the White House will become crucial soon. He's the only person in the administration (that we know of now) who was at that meeting and that's where the that collusion began.

FTFY.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2017, 05:56 AM   #71
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Who will do all the work if he leaves? The Orange Menace put him in charge of almost everything.
The evidence is that like many top executives of his type he doesn't actually do anything. Probably better replacing him with a magic-8-ball, at least that has a chance of being right about something.
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2017, 06:43 AM   #72
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by Darat View Post
The evidence is that like many top executives of his type he doesn't actually do anything. Probably better replacing him with a magic-8-ball, at least that has a chance of being right about something.
Oh man, I want the executives you've had. I'd love it if our top execs didn't do anything.

Instead, they do things that make no sense because they confuse position with expertise.
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2017, 07:02 AM   #73
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

I'm still going with Kushner. The FBI seized documents in the raid on Manafort's home related to the meeting with the representatives of the Russian government. That means there's something there. Getting him out of the White House will become crucial soon. He's the only person in the administration (that we know of now) who was at that meeting and that's where the collusion began.
That seems unlikely, we are going to have more turn over before any indictment against him could play out and family or at least his kids seems to be the one thing trump might be loyal to.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2017, 08:56 AM   #74
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Mattis and/or McMasters.

It looks like some leakers are pushing the North Korea situation (RE: miniaturized nuclear warhead) to help Trump by distracting form the Russia investigation.
If it looks like this could work, Trump might as well look to bomb North Korea, which (hopefully) the Generals won't support.

If Mattis and/or McMasters are forced out you better sell all your shares in Korean companies.
Old 10th August 2017, 10:42 AM   #75
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

I'm leaving my chip on Sessions. He's already crossed Trump, his firing would be slightly less contentious than firing Mueller directly, Trump's already tried bullying him out, so IMO it's just a matter of time and sufficient distraction until Trump feels safe firing him.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2017, 11:20 AM   #76
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

Sessions is getting cover from his brethren in the Senate, who would have to confirm his replacement.
Old 10th August 2017, 12:06 PM   #77
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Sessions is getting cover from his brethren in the Senate, who would have to confirm his replacement.
Trump is currently feuding with McConnell. It would be entirely characteristic of him, and would give him a fig leaf of plausible deniability, to fire Sessions in retaliation.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2017, 12:19 PM   #78
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
Trump is currently feuding with McConnell. It would be entirely characteristic of him, and would give him a fig leaf of plausible deniability, to fire Sessions in retaliation.
Is he aware of who his Secretary of Transportation is?
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2017, 12:43 PM   #79
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
I'm waiting for him to try to fire McConnell. Who's going to tell him he can't?

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Is he aware of who his Secretary of Transportation is?
Elaine Chao, but somehow your point has gone whooshing over my head. Is he going to have someone transported to Australia?
Old 10th August 2017, 12:44 PM   #80
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Elaine Chao, but somehow your point has gone whooshing over my head. Is he going to have someone transported to Australia?
Look up her spouse.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics