ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 24th August 2017, 09:17 PM   #1
Bob001
Philosopher

The Trump Presidency Part III

Mod InfoThis is a continuation of this thread. As with all continuations, the spot at which the threads were broken was arbitrary and members may feel free to quote posts from the older thread. Thank you.
Posted By:Loss Leader

The Washington Post catalogs all the things Trump has undone:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.f3893ab01609

Last edited by Loss Leader; 25th August 2017 at 07:49 AM.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th August 2017, 09:51 PM   #2
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post

Quite a list.

No wonder the Republicans still support him.
Old 24th August 2017, 10:20 PM   #3
Civet
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Quite a list.

No wonder the Republicans still support him.
Right. Despite his buffoonish demeanor, inability to work with Congress and attempts to characterize himself as an outsider he's been a solidly effective mainstream Republican president on issues that don't require much cooperation from the legislature. It's one of the reasons why I'm curious as to whether Republican voters are siding with him in his conflicts with Republican congressmen. He's the only one who seems to be seriously advancing a GOP agenda.
Civet is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th August 2017, 11:17 PM   #4
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Whoa, a few seem to be there specifically to provoke angry responses.

Removed a bike-sharing station at the White House.

Reversed a rule that would ban gun sales to those deemed “mentally defective” by the government.

Rescinded a rule mandating that rising sea levels be considered when building public infrastructure in flood-prone areas.

McHrozni
Old 25th August 2017, 12:21 AM   #5
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Quote:
Whoa, a few seem to be there specifically to provoke angry responses.

Removed a bike-sharing station at the White House.

Reversed a rule that would ban gun sales to those deemed “mentally defective” by the government.

Rescinded a rule mandating that rising sea levels be considered when building public infrastructure in flood-prone areas.

McHrozni
None of those would bother the average conservative Republican.

#1) "Those bicycles ought to be outlawed. They don't belong on the streets endangering drivers."

#2) "How do we know who the gummint is gonna say is mentally defective?"

#3) There's already been more than one conservative Republican state legislature (I'm looking at you, NC) that has gone to the opposite extreme, forbidding by state statute the consideration of projected sea level rise for any state project planning.
Old 25th August 2017, 12:48 AM   #6
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

None of those would bother the average conservative Republican.
Exactly, but they do anger the average Democrat. It's as if he's trying to provoke anger against himself. That could be a strategy, angry responses are typically poorly recieved and angry opponents are opponents who don't weigh their options as well as they should.

In an extreme case he could be attempting to provoke a coup. If he survives he's president for life a la Erdogan. US is not Latin America though so that's a tall, very tall order, but I can imagine Trump or whomever is behind the strategy to have that in mind and plan accordingly. If it works, fine. If it doesn't it costs them nothing while weakening the opposition.

It could also all be out of spite of course. Democrats support those policies so they will be removed with no consideration whether they're good or bad.

McHrozni
Old 25th August 2017, 01:06 AM   #7
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by McHrozni View Post
Exactly, but they do anger the average Democrat. It's as if he's trying to provoke anger against himself. That could be a strategy, angry responses are typically poorly recieved and angry opponents are opponents who don't weigh their options as well as they should.

In an extreme case he could be attempting to provoke a coup. If he survives he's president for life a la Erdogan. US is not Latin America though so that's a tall, very tall order, but I can imagine Trump or whomever is behind the strategy to have that in mind and plan accordingly. If it works, fine. If it doesn't it costs them nothing while weakening the opposition.

It could also all be out of spite of course. Democrats support those policies so they will be removed with no consideration whether they're good or bad.

McHrozni
I'm going with spite, and a particular former president who is far more popular and with whom Trump seems obsessed.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th August 2017, 01:13 AM   #8
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

I don't think Trump wants to be President for life, he hates being President. It's much harder work than he expected.
Old 25th August 2017, 01:15 AM   #9
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
I don't think Trump wants to be President for life, he hates being President. It's much harder work than he expected.
I think he'd like a post like king where he can attend daily rallies of people singing his praises, he gets a fancy title, a ****-load of money, all the adulation he can handle, the right to rule by decree (as long as someone else takes the blame when one of his decrees backfires) and the ability for his children to assume the post.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th August 2017, 01:54 AM   #10
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
I'm going with spite, and a particular former president who is far more popular and with whom Trump seems obsessed.
I agree this is possible, perhaps even the most plausible scenario. That doesn't mean it's true and I continuosly caustion against underestimating Trump as a buffoon.

He may be a buffoon. He also may be acting like a buffoon to lay the groundwork for something much, much worse. He could also be a buffoon that someone else will use to those ends. That's why I always say we shouldn't call Trump stupid all the time. It could be true, but if it is, there is nothing to do but mitigate the damage and wait him to pass anyway. If there is more to his antics than just Trump being Trump we should be watchful to prevent significantly worse events that could come.

McHrozni
Old 25th August 2017, 03:20 AM   #11
newyorkguy
Philosopher

The New York Times is reporting on John Kelly's efforts to impose some order on the West Wing and to put some controls on the information Trump receives:
Quote:
White House aides were told that all materials prepared for the president must go first to Mr. Porter for vetting and clearance. Then Mr. Kelly must sign off on them before they go to Mr. Trump’s desk. That includes news articles, according to West Wing officials who described the memos’ content — of particular importance, given the propensity for some of Mr. Trump’s staff to slip him news accounts from dubious sources that shape his thinking or prompt him to cite unreliable or inaccurate information...Mr. Priebus had tried [and failed] to take firmer control of that process after Mr. Trump’s first week in office, when Stephen K. Bannon, the recently departed chief strategist, and Stephen Miller, the president’s senior policy adviser, pushed across the president’s desk two orders redesigning the National Security Council, and putting in place the first, court-contested travel ban on seven predominantly Muslim countries. Link

Worst. President. Ever.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th August 2017, 03:29 AM   #12
Fast Eddie B
Illuminator

#2) "How do we know who the gummint is gonna say is mentally defective?"
1) Is there a hidden message being sent by the way you chose to spell government above?

2) The question itself raises legitimate due process concerns.
Old 25th August 2017, 03:32 AM   #13
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
The New York Times is reporting on John Kelly's efforts to impose some order on the West Wing and to put some controls on the information Trump receives:

Worst. President. Ever.
True, but I find this both good news and potentially alarming as well. If Trump can be influenced in this way it's good news that someone is taking reins and will begin feeding him credible information. The alarming news is that this person will now potentially hold the reins of the presidency.

McHrozni
Old 25th August 2017, 03:51 AM   #14
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Ok, I'm sitting in a hotel room in Poland. Only news channel on for the U.S. is CNN. The news is like 90% Trump and Company. They even have some friggin item on how a Duck Dynasty wife tweets against Trump

Sorry, I can't help but think CNN elected Trump and they love it he's there.
Old 25th August 2017, 04:32 AM   #15
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by McHrozni View Post
True, but I find this both good news and potentially alarming as well.
We never really know with Trump, do we?

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th August 2017, 05:16 AM   #16
C_Felix
Master Poster

I didn't see this mentioned:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b0821444c25fad

Quote:
[Andy Hemming resigned as the team lead of the group charged with being] responsible for finding positive mainstream media news stories about the Trump administration and recirculating those reports to key reporters and talking heads. Hemming’s goal was to ultimately create more mainstream coverage about positive moments for the Trump administration on the very networks the president routinely bashes and refers to as “fake news,” according to Karni’s piece.
Old 25th August 2017, 05:25 AM   #17
Argumemnon
World Maker

Pretty insane when you have people in the administration whose sole job is to make dear leader feel better.

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th August 2017, 05:52 AM   #18
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

President Trump's Twitter this morning:

Trying to cheer himself up with lies about how much he is getting done ?

Originally Posted by 45
Few, if any, Administrations have done more in just 7 months than the Trump A. Bills passed, regulations killed, border, military, ISIS, SC!

edited to add.....

Why is he picking fights with the GOP ?

Originally Posted by 45
Strange statement by Bob Corker considering that he is constantly asking me whether or not he should run again in '18. Tennessee not happy!

Last edited by The Don; 25th August 2017 at 05:54 AM.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th August 2017, 06:04 AM   #19
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Loon.
Old 25th August 2017, 06:17 AM   #20
Stacko
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
edited to add.....

Why is he picking fights with the GOP ?
He wants a divided government. That would give him a perpetual enemy to blame for everything. Right now he and the GOP are proving they are incapable of governing. As much as he lies to blame the Dems, his problem is getting to 50 votes not 60.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th August 2017, 06:37 AM   #21
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Well, with Harvey about to hit Texas with the potential of Katrina like flooding, we'll see how the moron responds to a crisis that he didn't actually create in the first place.
Old 25th August 2017, 06:39 AM   #22
Rincewind
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Pretty insane when you have people in the administration whose sole job is to make dear leader feel better.
Maybe he needs a court jester?
Old 25th August 2017, 06:39 AM   #23
Stacko
Philosopher

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
Well, with Harvey about to hit Texas with the potential of Katrina like flooding, we'll see how the moron responds to a crisis that he didn't actually create in the first place.
I'm going with angry press conference because it interrupts his weekend golfing.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th August 2017, 06:46 AM   #24
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

In the event that the storm warnings prove unnecessary because it's less serious than forecast - claim that global warming is imaginary and press for more environmental deregulation.

In the event that there is an emergency but the state and federal services cope despite the White House's dis-function - claim all the credit

In the event that there is an emergency but the state and federal services don't cope - blame everyone else

Somehow he'll also make it all about him
Old 25th August 2017, 06:47 AM   #25
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
He had one but Kelly fired him.....

....I miss Scaramucci
Old 25th August 2017, 06:54 AM   #26
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
Nah, he abhors competition.

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
He had one but Kelly fired him.....

....I miss Scaramucci
Ahh, Mooch the Douche. He would have been the perfect spokesman for Donny J.
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th August 2017, 07:30 AM   #27
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

I think the response will be awful, so he'll blame the guy that runs FEMA.

Oh wait. Nobody runs FEMA. What could possibly go wrong
Old 25th August 2017, 07:34 AM   #28
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

I think the response will be awful, so he'll blame the guy that runs FEMA.

Oh wait. Nobody runs FEMA. What could possibly go wrong
Those damn Democrats, stopping his FEMA appointment being approved
Old 25th August 2017, 07:41 AM   #29
Civet
Graduate Poster

Had to bing it since I'd never heard of the guy, but the current boss at FEMA looks credible on paper. Let's hope Trump (and the good people of Texas) dodged a bullet on this one.
Civet is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th August 2017, 09:20 AM   #30
C_Felix
Master Poster

"Mr. President, initial reports are coming in from Texas. There's a storm sure of 15 feet, and at least 1.5 million are without power."
"What's the status of the storm? Is it still yuge?"
"It has weakened now that it has hit land, Mr President."
"So, the land did some damage to the storm. The storm injured Texas and Texas injured the storm. There's blame on both sides."
"I guess so Mr. President."
"That's too bad."
Old 25th August 2017, 10:11 AM   #31
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Today's Tweetstorm attacked Bob Corker, which means Corker is now on the White House's Senatorial S--t List, I have never seen a President at war with much of his own party as Trump is.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th August 2017, 10:12 AM   #32
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Well, with Harvey about to hit Texas with the potential of Katrina like flooding
I don't think so because Katrina had failed levees and pumps. Better to imagine it as Katrina without any broken levees.
Old 25th August 2017, 10:36 AM   #33
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

There's extensive coverage of Harvey on CNN. That means it's fake news and Trump won't pay any attention to it.
Old 25th August 2017, 11:01 AM   #34
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

And the GOP has nightmares of another Katrian fiasco.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th August 2017, 11:11 AM   #35
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
1) Is there a hidden message being sent by the way you chose to spell government above?

2) The question itself raises legitimate due process concerns.

1/ I'm sure it's intended to adopt the vernacular of the barely literate Trumpians who see "gummint" as the enemy.

2/ "Defective" might be a stretch, but the law would presume -- subject to appeal -- that a person who has been determined to be incompetent to handle his own financial affairs is also incompetent to buy a firearm. Maybe too broad, but not much different from imposing a similar restriction on someone who has been committed to a mental hospital. And the restriction would only be on new purchases, not continued possession of guns someone already owns.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th August 2017, 11:39 AM   #36
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Reports that because of his attempts to steer Trump away from relaying on alt.right sources as his major source of information, General Kelly is goint to be the #1 Target of Bannon, Briebart,and the other right wing medie.
I suspect that Bannon hates Kelly's guts anyway because no doubt Kelly was a major player in Bannon's ouster.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 25th August 2017, 11:46 AM   #37
Argumemnon
World Maker

Wow, it really is like Game of Thrones. Even with a white walker (Bannon).

Last edited by Argumemnon; 25th August 2017 at 11:53 AM.
Old 25th August 2017, 11:49 AM   #38
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
And the GOP has nightmares of another Katrian fiasco.
They'll just blame it on Obama like they did with Katrina*.

* Yes, I know, but they'll try it anyway.
Old 25th August 2017, 12:26 PM   #39
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Reports that because of his attempts to steer Trump away from relaying on alt.right sources as his major source of information, General Kelly is goint to be the #1 Target of Bannon, Briebart,and the other right wing medie.
I suspect that Bannon hates Kelly's guts anyway because no doubt Kelly was a major player in Bannon's ouster.
It must be very confusing on the right with everyone fighting one another.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th August 2017, 01:01 PM   #40
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

The Trumptards are in full yelling mode against Corker after Trump's tweet. It's scary the way they go berserk at Trump's command;reminds me of the Two Minute Hate in "1984".

Robert Heinlein.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics