ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 25th August 2017, 01:01 PM   #41
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
It must be very confusing on the right with everyone fighting one another.
I wouldn't get too haughty about it. The only reason the left isn't doing a lot of infighting is that even with the right in disarray there's not much that can get done on the federal level until the balance shifts in Congress. It's not like everyone on the left agrees, for example, with lining up HMO executives in front of firing squads after instituting a single-payer healthcare system with universal coverage.
Babbylonian is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th August 2017, 01:03 PM   #42
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by McHrozni View Post
True, but I find this both good news and potentially alarming as well. If Trump can be influenced in this way it's good news that someone is taking reins and will begin feeding him credible information. The alarming news is that this person will now potentially hold the reins of the presidency.

McHrozni

Even under the best of circumstances there is always some truth to this regarding the White House Chief of Staff. With some Presidents more than others.

To some degree it is part of the job.

In Trump's case all I can say is I am glad that person is General Kelly. It could be much worse.
Old 25th August 2017, 01:07 PM   #43
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by C_Felix View Post
I didn't see this mentioned:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b0821444c25fad

Quote:

Andy Hemming resigned as the team lead of the group charged with being] responsible for finding positive mainstream media news stories about the Trump administration and recirculating those reports to key reporters and talking heads. Hemming’s goal was to ultimately create more mainstream coverage about positive moments for the Trump administration on the very networks the president routinely bashes and refers to as “fake news,” according to Karni’s piece.

Does this mean no more morning picture books for Trump? Or are they going to have to find another children's book author for his staff?
Old 25th August 2017, 01:21 PM   #44
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Does this mean no more morning picture books for Trump? Or are they going to have to find another children's book author for his staff?
Option B, there's no way he can do without his picture books......
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th August 2017, 01:51 PM   #45
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

The Good News:There will be multi faith gathering of clergy in DC on Tuesday to offer a "Moral Rebuke" to Donald Trump.
The Bad News;It is being organized and headed by Al Sharpton,who when it comes to lying and self promotion is only marginally better then Trump.

Sorry, buy having Sharpton in charge robs this event of ANY creditbility.

I will never forgive CNBC for giving this clown creditbility. If I condemn Trump on moral and ethical grounds I have to condemn Sharpton.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th August 2017, 02:13 PM   #46
Civet
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
The Good News:There will be multi faith gathering of clergy in DC on Tuesday to offer a "Moral Rebuke" to Donald Trump.
The Bad News;It is being organized and headed by Al Sharpton,who when it comes to lying and self promotion is only marginally better then Trump.

Sorry, buy having Sharpton in charge robs this event of ANY creditbility.

I will never forgive CNBC for giving this clown creditbility. If I condemn Trump on moral and ethical grounds I have to condemn Sharpton.
I've got no appetite for Sharpton and would happy to see him quietly retire. That said, I don't really follow religious news so I don't know if anyone else is really stepping up to try and organize the religious left to oppose Trump and company.
Civet is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th August 2017, 02:18 PM   #47
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Civet View Post
I've got no appetite for Sharpton and would happy to see him quietly retire. That said, I don't really follow religious news so I don't know if anyone else is really stepping up to try and organize the religious left to oppose Trump and company.
I agree.but Sharpton is not the guy to do it,given his past.
In fact, Sharpton and Trump have several personality triats in common;both are compulsive liars, both are con men, and both are willing to play the Race Card for their advantage.
As to why I despise Sharpton so much I have two words.
Tawana Brawley.
And his recent "Defund the Jefferson Monument" tirade did not win him many points with me.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 25th August 2017 at 02:21 PM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th August 2017, 02:54 PM   #48
elemental
Scholar

Where's rev. Barber? Seems like he'd be the type to step up.
elemental is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th August 2017, 02:59 PM   #49
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by elemental View Post
Where's rev. Barber? Seems like he'd be the type to step up.
A number of people are saying that.
Guaranteed, a lot clergy who would be glad to march agains Trump are giving this a pass because they know that Sharpton being in charge will hopelessly compromise it. They also suspect this will turn out to be another self promoting and photo op for Sharpton. Like I said, he and Trump have a lot in common.
Old joke;

"What is the only thing in the universe faster then the speed of light?"
"Al Sharpton running to get in front of a camera".

Robert Heinlein.
Old 25th August 2017, 05:09 PM   #50
Stacko
Philosopher

Trump pardons racist Arizona sheriff Joe Arpaio Friday night in the middle of a life-threatening natural disaster.

Chalk "Law and Order" up as another campaign law.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th August 2017, 05:18 PM   #51
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Nice to know all you have to do is be his friend and you can break the law. This certainly doesn't set a terrible precedent.

Dude hadn't even been sentenced yet.
Old 25th August 2017, 05:31 PM   #52
Stacko
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Nice to know all you have to do is be his friend and you can break the law. This certainly doesn't set a terrible precedent.

Dude hadn't even been sentenced yet.
Important point: Arpaio was convicted of criminal contempt of court for violating a judge's order to stop patrols that racially profiled Hispanics. Trump again endorsed racism. I believe this is also the first time an administration used a hurricane to bury a negative action.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th August 2017, 05:33 PM   #53
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

The Apraio pardon..particularly the timing...does it for me.
Trump must be removed from office...by whatever means necessary.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 25th August 2017, 05:35 PM   #54
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
I believe this is also the first time an administration used a hurricane to bury a negative action.
It's now the headline on CNN and bumped the hurricane to second place.
Old 25th August 2017, 05:35 PM   #55
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Important point: Arpaio was convicted of criminal contempt of court for violating a judge's order to stop patrols that racially profiled Hispanics. Trump again endorsed racism. I believe this is also the first time an administration used a hurricane to bury a negative action.
"Judge Marshall had made his ruling.Let him enforce it".
It has now become a matter of the survival of the rule of law in the US.
If you are an anti gun liberal, you had better rethink your stand. it might come to that.
The only good thing is that if Trump thought he could sneak this by and it would be soon forgotten. he is wrong.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 25th August 2017, 05:36 PM   #56
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Officially bans transgender from the military and pardons a scumbag racist.

ignoring the hurricane. I'm sure he double checked the skin tone and - or their income before making a decision on what was most important today.
Old 25th August 2017, 05:52 PM   #57
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

It is painfully clear that only Good White Europeans can be real Americans in Trump';s America.............

Robert Heinlein.
Old 25th August 2017, 05:54 PM   #58
Stacko
Philosopher

It is painfully clear that only Good White Europeans can be real Americans in Trump';s America.............
Unless they're victims of sexual assault. That gets put on the backburner for more racist policing.
Old 25th August 2017, 05:57 PM   #59
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Gorka gone.
Old 25th August 2017, 05:57 PM   #60
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

So far I have believed in legal methods to fight Trump, but with this I would not be against a certain amount of raising hell right now.
The Sons of Liberty could get pretty rowdy also.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 25th August 2017 at 05:59 PM.
Old 25th August 2017, 05:59 PM   #61
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
Gorka gone.
Trump is hoping that in cheering his pardon, his goober base will not notice the firing of Gorka.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 25th August 2017, 05:59 PM   #62
Stacko
Philosopher

I don't ever want to read a story about new staff trying to moderate Donald Trump again. They're clearly empty puff pieces. Way to tarnish your reputation General Kelly.
Old 25th August 2017, 06:07 PM   #63
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

And Trump went through none of the vetting by the Justice Department usual in Presedentisl Pardons.
He has no respect for the rule of law.
It "L'Etat, C'est Moi" 21st century style,

Robert Heinlein.
Old 25th August 2017, 06:09 PM   #64
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

I can't hate anyone more than I hate Trump.

**** him
Old 25th August 2017, 06:19 PM   #65
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I have hated anybody..aside from Osama....as much as I do The Great Orange Turd.

And I am not a very partisan person;theough I thought he was doing a bad job as President I though a lot of the hate aimed at Dubya here was really over the top.
But not this time.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 25th August 2017, 06:36 PM   #66
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

On a Friday night where the safety of tens of thousands of American people is in question due to Hurricane Harvey, The PDJT

pardons Joe Arpaio
fires Gorka
bans transgender people from military service
(all of which oddly enough, is almost the exact read of the blurb on the CNN crawl)

and who knows what else -- the evening's not over yet.

I bet Anderson Cooper is pissed he took the night off.

Last edited by alfaniner; 25th August 2017 at 06:37 PM.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th August 2017, 06:41 PM   #67
Stacko
Philosopher

"Mr. President, Texas is facing total devastation and North Korea just fired a missile, what do you want to do"

"Let's pardon the racist"
Old 25th August 2017, 06:45 PM   #68
Solitaire
Neoclinus blanchardi

One wonders, will Trump shutdown the government at the end of September, as
in not approving the budget, if congress doesn't get Mexico to pay for the wall?
Old 25th August 2017, 07:49 PM   #69
Civet
Graduate Poster

What with the adviser vacancies, I guess Trump could offer Sheriff Joe a job now.
Civet is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th August 2017, 07:55 PM   #70
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Civet View Post
What with the adviser vacancies, I guess Trump could offer Sheriff Joe a job now.
he could set a special agency for Joe...Special Security......S.S...

Robert Heinlein.
Old 25th August 2017, 07:58 PM   #71
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Trump is hoping that in cheering his pardon, his goober base will not notice the firing of Gorka.
Agree.
Old 25th August 2017, 08:08 PM   #72
Tero
Graduate Poster

On another forum a GOP fan claimed Democrats are clowns. That is why Trump won.

I claimed the next president of any party will be sending out tweet size ideas. So the simple voter can understand.

Let's pick a random voter.
Tero: what do you think of Democrats.
Voter: Democrats?
Tero: Yes, Democrats. Like Obama.
Voter: Oh Yeah, Obama. Well, I dunno.
Tero: Dunno?
Voter: Well, they don't really do anything, do they. (Scratches head). Raise taxes maybe? And marry gays.
Tero: So you don't follow any Democrat tweets.
Voter: No.
But you follow Trump?
Yes.

Rinse, repeat.
http://karireport.blogspot.com/
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th August 2017, 08:24 PM   #73
Civet
Graduate Poster

he could set a special agency for Joe...Special Security......S.S...
If only I had better Photoshop skills...
Old 25th August 2017, 08:33 PM   #74
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

We Might have some comic relief via Gorka.
The White House is saying he did not resign but was "removed from office" Gorka is insisting he resigned.
In other words a Textbook "You Can't Fire Me, I Quit" scenario.
CNN reported there is Gorka is already giving interviews to the alt.right crowd and basically trashing everybody in the White House including Trump. This could be fun.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 25th August 2017, 08:40 PM   #75
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

We Might have some comic relief via Gorka.
The White House is saying he did not resign but was "removed from office" Gorka is insisting he resigned.
In other words a Textbook "You Can't Fire Me, I Quit" scenario.
CNN reported there is Gorka is already giving interviews to the alt.right crowd and basically trashing everybody in the White House including Trump. This could be fun.
Even the comments where he avoided direct criticism of Trump contain the accusation of being a weak leader. Impossible to avoid if you accept the notion that others have taken control of the agenda.
Old 25th August 2017, 08:41 PM   #76
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

"Judge Marshall had made his ruling.Let him enforce it".
It has now become a matter of the survival of the rule of law in the US.
If you are an anti gun liberal, you had better rethink your stand. it might come to that.
The only good thing is that if Trump thought he could sneak this by and it would be soon forgotten. he is wrong.
Some might note I haven't been anti-gun for quite a few months.
Old 25th August 2017, 08:50 PM   #77
Noztradamus
Illuminator

And Trump went through none of the vetting by the Justice Department usual in Presedentisl Pardons.
He has no respect for the rule of law.
It "L'Etat, C'est Moi" 21st century style,
The 21st century was only 2 months old when the precedent was established

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...candal/377541/
Old 25th August 2017, 10:59 PM   #78
SezMe
post-pre-born

Today's Tweetstorm attacked Bob Corker, which means Corker is now on the White House's Senatorial S--t List, I have never seen a President at war with much of his own party as Trump is.
That could be because the GOP is not really "his own party".
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th August 2017, 11:01 PM   #79
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
I don't think so because Katrina had failed levees and pumps. Better to imagine it as Katrina without any broken levees.
Yeah but the low lying coastal area is FLAT. Gradients of about 1 foot per mile. What comes down, hangs around for a looooong time.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th August 2017, 11:03 PM   #80
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

I don't ever want to read a story about new staff trying to moderate Donald Trump again. They're clearly empty puff pieces. Way to tarnish your reputation General Kelly.
IMO the military men in the Trump Administration have been given way too much credit for being honourable warriors attempting to curtail the President's worst excesses. They aren't, they are willing accomplices in his right-wing agenda and are wholly on board with his policies.

The "honourable warrior" is a much of a lie as the "successful deal-maker"
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics